Trying to Keep Lent No Matter What at Work - 2

We're sifting through ways to keep Lent no matter what at work this year. Last time we gave examples of some of the many "little" things that can waylay our consistent practice of our Lenten discipline. Today, we'll shift to something big. It's something personal that I'm grappling with this year.

Of course, "big" is a relative term. If you've read these posts over the years, you know that our family suffered the loss of a child. It's already over 5 years since he died. That was big. So even though this year's Lent has brought a significant challenge, I was a bit reluctant to call it "big." Still, it's big when it comes to the work day.

But before we get to the BIG Kahuna, there was a little less big item that popped up as 2023 drew to a close: PT. If you've ever need physical therapy, you have an idea what it can entail. There's the time spent getting to location to meet your physical therapist. Then there's the time spent on therapy at home.

In this case, the sessions at the PT location lasted an hour. Add in commuting time, and having to attend twice a week, you're looking at 3-4 hours per week. As for home practice, that took an hour or so each day. 

Add it up: It comes to roughly 10-11 hours per week. That time comes from somewhere. And part of where it comes from was the work day. 

Now, I finished the initial PT program, but still have to spend 30-40 minutes a day working on the program designed for follow-up. So there's that. And now that Lent has arrived, the PT needs to be weaved into the work day. (Since I work from home, the day itself is mostly work day.)

But that's not the BIG Kahuna.

The BIG Kahuna turns out to be a new endeavor. Not a project associated with my main business, but something different. It's not quite a new business. But it's a kind of hybrid. Hybrid in the sense that it requires serious work time to pursue. As for being a business, it's doubtful, but not beyond imagining.

Why pursue? That's a personal matter. The source has to do with certain skills and talents that I once pursued. And when I did, I had the intention of making it a career. But I couldn't make it a living at it. 

Such endeavors frequently crop up when folks retire. For example, a client retired from the financial services industry and took to writing a novel. Apparently writing was his real love, but, similarly, couldn't make a living at it. So he launched a highly successful career in finance. Now he left behind the money-maker for the thing he loves. 

The challenge here, though, is continuing to run my business - diligently - while simultaneously pursuing this other endeavor.

But before we get bogged down with me, here's the point. Since there's only so much time available and so much attention to be doled out to diligently pursue the tasks work requires, if these are crammed tightly together, it can seem that Lenten discipline - for example fasting - is just one thing too much to manage.

Bad idea. Needs correction. Lenten discipline needs to come first. Work matters a lot, of course; but it can't lord itself over our spiritual life. When we die, there will be no more work; but our soul will meet Our Lord. And it does seem that what we gave priority in life will matter a great deal. Doesn't it?

So that means managing my business and this new endeavor will require special effort, assisted, of course, by God's grace. Will He provide the actual grace I need to perform the duties of my business and those of my new endeavor diligently? Of course - as long as it is His Will that I pursue both as I am. 

Which means, naturally, that lots of prayer went into the decision to pursue this new endeavor, with the intention of it giving glory to God, as I intend for all my work. If God is not pleased with my efforts, He will certainly make this clear over time. So far, He has not.

Does this translate to all of us? I hope so. Using personal examples can sometimes sometimes be too personal. That's why I used the term "endeavor" - to keep it a little less personal, and, ideally, to have it serve all of us in whatever density the work day holds for us during this Holy season.

At this point, I will go on to my own densely packed day with the "2 Resolutions," mentioned in the past, as a sure guide (HERE and HERE). They've become even more helpful with this recent shift. Next time we'll revisit these Resolutions. We'll do that with the idea that they can help us stick to keep Lent no matter what at work.

We adore Thee, O Christ, and we bless Thee

Because by Thy Holy Cross Thou hast redeemed the world



Comments

Popular Posts