Two Resolutions to Keep Order and Peace in Our Work Life - 2

We've been considering 2 resolutions to keep order and peace in our work life:

1. I will always take more time than is necessary to do everything. This is the way to avoid being in a hurry and getting excited.

2. Since I will invariably have more things to do than time in which to do them, and this prospect preoccupies me and gets me all worked up, I will cease to think about all I have to do, and only consider the time I have at my disposal. I will make use of that time, without losing a moment of it, beginning with the most important duties; and as regards those that may or may not get done, I shall not worry about them.

Last time we looked at #1. Now it's time for #2.

Resolution #2 has more components or steps than #1. Let's take each in order.

First, we recognize that we have - and will always have - more things to do than time in which to do them. To be clear, there will never be a time when we can get everything done on any given day, such that there's absolutely nothing that we could do at the point we end our work day. Never.

Accept it and stop thinking about it. Thinking about it will get you "all worked up." It won't be easy for most of us to stop thinking about what's coming, but keep at it and you'll develop the skill. Like any good habit, it takes repetition and persistence.

With all those pending "To-Dos" expelled from your mind, you'll have plenty of time and plenty of free brain power to consider only the time at your disposal. Note that this requires a decision: How much time do you have? For what it's worth, here's how I decide:

Every work day has a beginning and an end. Let's say I start at 9 AM. I set an end time. It can vary from day to day, but there is an end to the day. That's the time I have at my disposal. So let's say it's 5 PM. That's eight full hours dedicated to my work. When a task pops up (and I have a full week's worth written out), I look at the day's total and break that down to the time I have for the current task. With that, there are two key points that must be considered.

Key point #1: Start on the task immediately. No surfing the internet, perusing emails, day-dreaming, calling the plumber to set up an appointment to fix the toilet at home, etc. 

Key point #2: When you pick that first task of the day, it must be the most important one that needs doing on this particular day. This is critical. If you're a bit unsure how to determine this, you'll need practice. With practice, you'll find your ability to identify "most important" will improve over time. A simple question I ask myself: What happens if I don't get this (vs. that) done today? If the answer is, "No big deal; you can get it done tomorrow" then check your task list and pick the item that must get done today or else. If none fit the bill, you're good to go with your original choice. You'll know as you focus fully on getting that task done on as best you can, and within the time allotted that you're not putting yourself at risk of missing a deadline. 

Without this critical consideration, you'll have future tasks poke their long noses into your current task, creating distractions and anxiety - all of which work against your getting your immediate task done well, and on time. 

Once you master this process, you'll find the last part of the resolution easy: "as regards those that may or may not get done, I shall not worry about them."

Before I got those two key points down pat, I had trouble accepting "I shall not worry about them." I figured I'd stop work for the day, and what was pending would - as it always had - weigh on my mind until I got back in the saddle. And, indeed, this was the case at first. But persistence and discipline paid off. By strictly adhering to all of Resolution #2, I simply do not worry about what hasn't gotten done on any particular day.

It all starts with taking the resolutions seriously, reading them every morning without fail with the firm intention of following them to the letter, and keeping at it until things fall into place. Some of us may take more time than others for all this to settle in and make an indelible mark in how we perform our job each day. But the rewards will come - and they're pretty good at that. 

Try it. Keep at it. Give it a chance and you won't regret it.

We adore Thee O Christ and we bless Thee

Because by Thy Holy Cross Thou hast Redeemed the world


Comments

Popular Posts