Connecting the Work of a Warrior With Our Own Ordinary Daily Work - 2

We're back to that passage from Father William Doyle, written in the midst of his daunting and dangerous work as a chaplain in the trenches of World War I. (Full passage in this recent post.) Again, we're trying to find common points between Father's difficult and dangerous work and the difficulties we sometimes - or frequently - face on the job. We left off with the joy that comes from humility - the humble assessment that that comes with recognizing that our life is "almost useless." We saw that such a recognition will sow the seeds of sanctity. 

That Father Doyle could be thinking this as he threw himself into his daunting and dangerous work in the midst of the horrors of trench warfare tells us that those seeds of sanctity had been sown abundantly. Indeed, if you read about his life overall, not just his work during World War I, you'll find someone who may be declared a saint some day. The passage we're considering bears the "odor" of his sanctity.

As Father prepares for the horrendous battle to shortly commence (and it turned out to be one of the worst of the war), here's what he wrote:

I feel wonderful peace and confidence in leaving myself absolutely in God’s Hands. Only I know it would not be right, I would like never to take shelter from bursting shells; and up to a few days ago, till ordered by the Colonel, I never wore a steel helmet. I want to give myself absolutely to Him to do with me just as He pleases, to strike or kill me, as He wishes, trying to go along bravely and truthfully, looking up into His loving Face, for surely He knows best. 

Interesting how Father desires to put himself in harm's way in order that he be most effective in ministering to his soldiers. The trust he has in God goes without saying. But notice he's clearly thought through just what that trust entails.

It's one thing to say that we trust in God. But do we likewise think through exactly what we mean by this, what the possible consequences might be? For example, at work, if we do our best, do we consider that our best might not be "good enough" for a boss or a customer? You now how that goes. An ornery boss may not bother to consider the effort, possibly not even the good outcome, of your work. He's just got to criticize, if only because that's his nature. I've had such bosses.

If we can consider the true and complete possible consequences of our trusting in God, and still trust in Him, then we're really trusting in God.

On the other hand I have the conviction, growing stronger every day, that nothing serious will befall me;

Having endured bullets and bombs over and over again, it's not surprising that Father has this conviction. But he quickly offsets with this:

...a wound would be joy, ‘to shed one’s blood for Jesus,’ when I would gladly empty my veins for Him.

When we've had some streaks of especially good fortune in our lives, it's good to recall the alternative. Taking Father's example to heart, we can assure Our Lord that we will accept any tough times that may come as well- even accept them with joy. It might help us if we remember Father's situation - the imminent possibility of mortal danger - and his joyful acceptance of what could be the ultimate sacrifice. 

But Father returns to his conviction that he will get through all this safely:

Otherwise why would He impress so strongly on my mind that this ‘novitiate’ out here is only the preparation for my real life’s work? Why does He put so many schemes and plans into my mind? Why has He mapped out several little books, one of which will do great good, I believe, because every word will be His?

It's only natural to think so, believing that those schemes and plans must have come from God. In the end, though, this man of deep faith circles back to the complete trust he has in God. He reminds himself that no matter the outcome, the calm he feels is based on complete abandonment and trust, not to any conviction that God will assure his safety.

I am very calm and trustful in face of the awful storm so soon to burst. But could it be otherwise, when He is ever with me and when I know that should I fall, it will only be into His Arms of love?

All that happens to us can be considered the same way. Good or bad, we know that all is part of God's plan. At work, our ups and downs can and should be considered in this way. While the storms and dangers we face may not be anything near what Father Doyle faced in war, they nevertheless take their toll. That's why it's so important that we develop the complete trust now, as Father Doyle did. The same applies to the rest of our life.

The next time something daunting - or perhaps even dangerous - appears, remember Father Doyle's words. I will. And I will pray to him as well - having come to know him better in this passage and many others I've read by him.

I think I've posted this before, but you can find a website dedicated to him HERE.

 






 

Comments

Popular Posts