More on Having It Really Tough at Work

Let's stick with the theme of those who have it really tough at work. Our last post recalled some thoughts we shared a couple of weeks ago. We expanded on that with the help of Father William Doyle. 

Today we'll also call on Father Doyle. Only this time we find him talking about his own work, at least that work with which he was engaged when these words were written in 1917. He was a chaplain for the British army, working in the trenches with the soldiers, many of whom would be killed in the brutal fighting and horrid conditions that characterized trench warfare in World War I.

In this passage from his diary, you can get a sense of the work - really tough work - Father performed as chaplain. A conscientious military commander considers the physical and psychological well-being of his soldiers. Father took responsibility for the souls of his soldiers. Both are important. But recall that, even if the body dies, the soul lives on. And it's life will be either one of glory or damnation. 

In our current surroundings, it's important that we do make this distinction between body and soul. It's not one that receives an iota of attention by most of us these days. We're wrapped up in this world to the neglect of the next. In the end, it's the next that matters most. When our time in this world ends after however many years we take up our place in it, we face the next - for eternity. Like our physical bodies, the physical world as we know it will some day pass away. And yet it gets the bulk of our attention and concern.

Go figure.

Father Doyle's remarks reveal a man who understands the importance of the soul and eternal life. He put his heart and soul into his work for the salvation of the souls entrusted to him. Each time he heard a confession or said Mass or gave the men Communion, he knew it could be their last time to receive the Sacraments. And he knew the Sacraments would provide the grace they would need for their souls to enter the next life with the chance to attain eternal happiness.

You'll also see her that Father was well aware of the difficulty and danger of his work. See how he want to shield his own family back home from the reality of what he faced every day:

"I have not told them at home, and do not want them to know but we have had a terrible time for the last three weeks, constant and increasing shelling, with many wonderful escapes. We are on the eve of a tremendous battle and the danger will be very great. Sometimes I think God wishes the actual sacrifice of my life — the offering of it was made long ago. But if so, that almost useless life will be given most joyfully. I feel wonderful peace and confidence in leaving myself absolutely in God’s Hands. Only I know it would not be right, I would like never to take shelter from bursting shells; and up to a few days ago, till ordered by the Colonel, I never wore a steel helmet. I want to give myself absolutely to Him to do with me just as He pleases, to strike or kill me, as He wishes, trying to go along bravely and truthfully, looking up into His loving Face, for surely He knows best. On the other hand I have the conviction, growing stronger every day, that nothing serious will befall me; a wound would be joy, ‘to shed one’s blood for Jesus,’ when I would gladly empty my veins for Him. Otherwise why would He impress so strongly on my mind that this ‘novitiate’ out here is only the preparation for my real life’s work? Why does He put so many schemes and plans into my mind? Why has He mapped out several little books, one of which will do great good, I believe, because every word will be His? Then the possibilities of the Holy Childhood have gripped me, and His little perishing souls, 10,000 a day, seem ever to be pleading for a sight of Jesus! Yet I have laid even the desire to do these things at His Feet, and I strive might and main to have no will but His, for this pleases Him most. I am very calm and trustful in face of the awful storm so soon to burst. But could it be otherwise, when He is ever with me and when I know that should I fall, it will only be into His Arms of love?"

This passage deserves multiple readings, even time to meditate on it. I think it's worth another go-round next time.

For now, we can take away that lesson we've focused on a few times already: No matter how hard things might get at work, we know there are others out there facing even more difficulties, having a much tougher time on the job. Let's just pray for them now. And if our lot is a particularly difficult one today, consider offering up our tough day at work for those who have it even tougher.

Comments

Popular Posts