Some Thoughts From Father Willie About The Virtue of Justice and Our Work

Father Willie Doyle taught us how to love God last Sunday. Today he gives us solid pointers about applying the virtue of Justice in our work.

You can find the original post at THIS WEBSITE.


During His Passion our Lord was bound and dragged from place to place. I have hourly opportunities of imitating Him by going cheer fully to the duty of the moment: recreation when I want to be quiet, a walk when I would rather stay in my room, some unpleasant duty I did not expect, a call of charity which means great inconvenience for myself.

And elsewhere:

I contrast the obedience of St. Joseph with my obedience. His so prompt, unquestioning, uncomplaining, perfect; mine given so grudgingly; perhaps exterior without interior conformity with the will of the Superior. I realise my faults in this matter, and for the future will try to practise the most perfect obedience, even and especially in little things.


Fr Doyle’s concept of obedience touches on an issue where we can perhaps all examine our conscience – our performance of our daily duties. Our employers have a strict right, in justice, that we perform our jobs well, and work for the hours for which we are paid. Our spouses have the strict right, in justice, to our love and fidelity. Our children have the strict right, in justice, to our time, love and formation.

The loving fulfilment of duties in life was a constant theme of Fr Doyle. We could multiply numerous quotes from Fr Doyle on this important aspect of duty, but a few will suffice.

I felt a strong impulse to resolve to take up as one of the chief objects of my life the exact and thorough performance of each duty, trying to do it as Jesus would have done, with the same pure intention, exquisite exactness and fervour. To copy in all my actions – walking, eating, praying – Jesus, my model in the little house of Nazareth. This light was sudden, clear and strong. To do this perfectly will require constant, unflagging fervour.

Also,

Have a fixed duty for each moment and not depart from it; never waste a moment.

And elsewhere,

While making the Holy Hour to-day, the Feast of the Sacred Heart, I felt inspired to make this resolution: Sweet Jesus, as a first step towards my becoming a saint, which You desire so much, I will try to do each duty, each little action, as perfectly and fervently as I possibly can.

How different the world, the economy and our families, would look if we all tried to live the virtue of justice by being faithful to our duties in this way.


 

Comments

Popular Posts