Rising with Our Lord This Easter Season at Work With the Help of This Psalm - 2

We continue with our special meditation on Psalm 118 (Protestants have it as Psalm 119). Our hope is that we can refresh all we do for the greater glory of God.

Psalm 118 plunges us into "the law." Our minds and hearts reach out to God to seek to know His ways. From the law and our knowledge of God's way all of the good within us comes alive. Indeed, we come alive.

As we work our way through each section of this astounding psalm, we'll see how its words can help us in our work, to further hone our daily activities that they serve God even as we serve those to whom we owe an honest day's work.

It's the perfect way to pray and work (ora et labora) our way through this glorious Easter Season.

BETH

9 By what doth a young man correct his way? by observing thy words. 10 With my whole heart have I sought after thee: let me not stray from thy commandments. 11 Thy words have I hidden in my heart, that I may not sin against thee. 12 Blessed art thou, O Lord: teach me thy justifications. 13 With my lips I have pronounced all the judgments of thy mouth. 14 I have been delighted in the way of thy testimonies, as in all riches. 15 I will meditate on thy commandments: and I will consider thy ways. 16 I will think of thy justifications: I will not forget thy words.


As we go about our work today, these verses remind us that all our thoughts, words, and deeds ought to reflect our knowledge of the Commandments. We can go a step further and be "delighted" as much as (or more than) we might be delighted in our work providing whatever reward we receive for our work.

GIMEL

17 Give bountifully to thy servant, enliven me: and I shall keep thy words. 18 Open thou my eyes: and I will consider the wondrous things of thy law. 19 I am a sojourner on the earth: hide not thy commandments from me. 20 My soul hath coveted to long for thy justifications, at all times. 21 Thou hast rebuked the proud: they are cursed who decline from thy commandments. 22 Remove from me reproach and contempt: because I have sought after thy testimonies. 23 For princes sat, and spoke against me: but thy servant was employed in thy justifications. 24 For thy testimonies are my meditation: and thy justifications my counsel.

In our encounters with others - colleagues, customers, clients, etc. - we may at times run into those whose behavior exemplifies an underlying pride. Is that true of us? Ideally not. We may find those in authority (boss, government officials) say or do things that are against our interests. (Running my own business means I don't have an official "boss" but I sure do run up against government dictates!) In such cases, we would do well to remember and meditate on God's Commandments - rather than dwell on the faults of others.

DALETH

25 My soul hath cleaved to the pavement: quicken thou me according to thy word. 26 I have declared my ways, and thou hast heard me: teach me thy justifications. 27 Make me to understand the way of thy justifications: and I shall be exercised in thy wondrous works. 28 My soul hath slumbered through heaviness: strengthen thou me in thy words. 29 Remove from me the way of iniquity: and out of thy law have mercy on me. 30 I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments I have not forgotten. 31 I have stuck to thy testimonies, O Lord: put me not to shame. 32 I have run the way of thy commandments, when thou didst enlarge my heart.

Do we declare - sincerely and often - our faithfulness to God's commands? If not, let's develop this habit. And when the burdens of the work day cause "heaviness" of mind and body, we will naturally look to our Father for His comfort and strengthening grace. Being human, we may stray from strict observance of the Commandments, but with our commitment to being faithful, we can instantly seek forgiveness (perhaps with an Act of Perfect Contrition) and get on with our day's labor in our good faith.

We'll continue with more from Psalm 118 next time...


Happy Easter!



 

Comments

Popular Posts