Rising with Our Lord This Easter Season at Work With the Help of This Psalm - 3

We continue with our special meditation on Psalm 118 (Protestants have it as Psalm 119).Our hope is that we can refresh all we do for the greater glory of God.

Psalm 118 plunges us into "the law." Our minds and hearts reach out to God to seek to know His ways. From the law and our knowledge of God's way all of the good within us comes alive. Indeed, we come alive.

As we work our way through each section of this astounding psalm, we'll see how its words can help us in our work, to further hone our daily activities that they serve God even as we serve those to whom we owe an honest day's work.

It's the perfect way to pray and work (ora et labora) our way through this glorious Easter Season.

HE

33 Set before me for a law the way of thy justifications, O Lord: and I will always seek after it. 34 Give me understanding, and I will search thy law; and I will keep it with my whole heart. 35 Lead me into the path of thy commandments; for this same I have desired. 36 Incline my heart into thy testimonies and not to covetousness. 37 Turn away my eyes that they may not behold vanity: quicken me in thy way. 38 Establish thy word to thy servant, in thy fear. 39 Turn away my reproach, which I have apprehended: for thy judgments are delightful. 40 Behold I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy justice. 

Recall how God presented Moses with the Ten Commandments. Recall how many of the Israelites had set up false gods while Moses lingered on the mountain to receive the Law. In the same way God has given His law to each of us. What are we doing here and now in recognition of His Law?

As we work for a living, recall that we are urged to turn our hearts to God and His law and not to covetousness (Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors goods or his wife.) If we perform our work diligently and earn a reasonable wage/return for our labor, what reason could be have to covet anything?

If we perform our tasks with fervor and exactness, we prevent our time and attention being spent on vanity - either in how we appear or in any care for how others see us.

We pray to be "quickened" in His justice. Work done completely, accurately, on time demonstrates our fulfillment of justice.

VAU

41 Let thy mercy also come upon me, O Lord: thy salvation according to thy word. 42 So shall I answer them that reproach me in any thing; that I have trusted in thy words. 43 And take not thou the word of truth utterly out of my mouth: for in thy words have I hoped exceedingly. 44 So shall I always keep thy law, for ever and ever. 45 And I walked at large: because I have sought after thy commandments. 46 And I spoke of thy testimonies before kings: and I was not ashamed. 47 I meditated also on thy commandments, which I loved. 48 And I lifted up my hands to thy commandments, which I loved: and I was exercised in thy justifications.


While we may intend for our work to be for the greater glory of God, being human we may fall short of the perfection in our work that we desire to honor God. In such cases, given our good intention, we can rely on His mercy. He knows and understands us better than we do ourselves.

Keeping His Commandments close to our minds and hearts at all times will be expressed in both the work we perform as well as in our behavior towards those with whom and for whom we work. Our example will reflect our adherence and love of His Commandments.

While we're not called to give testimony to God and His Commandments in any active, overt manner as we work, we ought not be shy or afraid to speak and act as Christians when the occasion arises. At the very least, our good example can and should demonstrate our adherence to God's law, even to the extent that others might find this attractive and help them to also follow His Law.

Notice how these are simply ways to not only keep God's Commandments throughout our work day, but to allow them to guide all our thoughts, words, and deeds for the benefit of our clients and customers, both materially and spiritually.

Happy Easter!

 

Comments

Popular Posts