A Seriously Humble Thought On This Sunday/New Year's Eve

This year New Year's Eve falls on a Sunday - this Sunday. We focused on the virtue of humility throughout Advent. And our last post provided a reflection on the Holy Family's Flight into Egypt.

Okay, so maybe we're gearing up for a New Year's Eve extravaganza. But we can still welcome the New Year with a glass or two of champagne without forsaking our spiritual life. So in that spirit, what could be wrong with recalling the well-known Litany of Humility by Cardinal Merry del Val. 

We might even consider a special New Year's resolution to build up that most precious virtue as we roll into 2024.


Litany of Humility
Cardinal Merry del Val (1891-1930)

O Jesus! Meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honored – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being praised – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged – Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected – Deliver me, Jesus.
That others may be loved more than I – Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be more esteemed than I – Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.
That in the opinion of the world, others may increase, and I may decrease – Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside – Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed – Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be preferred to me in everything – Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.
That others become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should,
~ Jesus grant me the grace to desire it. ~


Merry Christmas

and

Happy New Year!


Comments

Popular Posts