A Very Catholic Way To Consider God's Presence During The Day's Labors

Keeping God's presence here and now as we go through our daily labors can be challenging. If your work is relentlessly busy and demanding, or if it's especially engaging, it can become almost impossible to be aware that God is right here right now. Still, it's important to do our best to acknowledge His Presence.

So here's something that's designed to bring God back into the picture, at work, or anywhere else for that matter. Take some time to read this thoughtfully. Doing so may not only bring us to an appropriately heightened awareness of God's Presence today, but, like a good hearty home-cooked meal, some of this may stick to our ribs and keep Him there every day. 

 

“A Very Present Help” (Ps. 46:1)

He’s helping me now this moment,
Though I may not see it or hear,
Perhaps by a friend far distant,
Perhaps by a stranger near,
Perhaps by the printed word;
In ways that I know and know not
I have the help of the Lord.
He’s keeping me now – this moment,
However I need it most
Perhaps by a single angel,
Perhaps by a mighty host,
Perhaps by the chain that frets me,
Or the walls that shut me in;
In ways that I know and know not,
He keeps me from harm and sin.

He’s guiding me now – this moment,
In pathways easy or hard,
Perhaps by a door wide open,
Perhaps by a door fast barred,
Perhaps by a joy withholden,
Perhaps by a gladness given;
In ways that I know and know not
He’s leading me up to Heaven.

He’s using me now – this moment,
And whether I go or stand perhaps by a plan accomplished
Perhaps when He stays my hand
Perhaps by a word in season,
Perhaps by a silent prayer;
In ways that I know and know not,
His labor of love I share.

(Annie Johnson Flint)
 

Comments

Popular Posts