What Might Have Been and Still Might Be - 2

We've been discussing what might have been and still might be. This refers to our fully engaging our spiritual life each day at work. Sometimes we fall short - what might have been. But that doesn't - or shouldn't - discourage us. We can place our hope in tomorrow - the hope remains that it still might be.

Last time we noted that our spiritual life never takes away from our work life; it enhances it far beyond anything we might imagine at the moment.

I can't prove this. But I can share personal experience, with the hope that some of that experience can translate adequately to each of us in our own situation. Just don't expect anything profound, magical, or mystical. Here goes:

I start my day with prayer and meditation. Nothing all that original, to be sure. It's stuff I learned from a couple of spiritual directors I once worked with, and reading solid Catholic spiritual works. It doesn't take that long from start to finish - maybe 45 minutes or so. I get up earlier in the morning to make sure I have the time for this along with my physical exercise.

If you're not doing this either first thing or at some point in the day, here's the simple regimen. Maybe it will help get your started:

10-15 minutes of silent meditation; 10-15 minutes reading Holy Scripture (combination of Old Testament, Psalms, Gospels, something from the rest of the New Testament; 10 minutes or so of good spiritual reading. This isn't all I do, but it's what I do first thing. Lots of Catholics do something similar.

I developed this habit, but had lots of trouble leveraging those precious spiritual moments into some sort of spiritual engagement at work. Work would begin, the day would fly by, and I'd realize the most I'd done is say grace before eating lunch. As for any effort to keep God's Presence alive and well, or pause to at least silently pray an aspiration or two, well, the intention was always there; but execution was another matter.

Fast forward through years of trying different ways to make some progress as spiritual engagement at work. Here's how I was able to "break through" - at least somewhat. 

I slowly but steadily developed a closer, more personal relationship with my Guardian Angel, the patrons saints of my business (I have two) and a short list of other saint-friends (my term) with whom I have some affinity. At first it was awkward to try to talk to them as if they were really "here" just like my family and friends are when I'm with them. But, seriously, how can a Catholic have trouble understanding that they are indeed "here"?

The easiest "here" was my Guardian Angel. We all have one and we all know that our Guardian is indeed here, always with us to guard and guide us. So I just started talking to him (usually silently). Now I ask him for help in just about any endeavor, and thank him for the helping hand I know he's given. This includes exercise, domestic chores, starting my work on time, finishing my projects on time, etc. If you've never tried this, just do it. I can tell you that when I do, whatever I'm trying to do turns out better than if I hadn't asked for his help. Really.

From there, I developed the habit of saying "Good morning" as I'm waking up to my various saint-friends. Each helps in different areas: for example, one is more focused on family relationships, one on my prayer discipline throughout the day. Lately I've managed to engage with the patron saints of my business more successfully. I began by seeking their intercession as the work day began, thanking them at the end. I've expanded this to specific "chunks" of work I'm tackling. 

Now, it's not a perfect science here. I don't always begin and end with a nod or appeal to my saints, but it's something that's increased over time through persistent practice. That's how you develop any good habit.

Without exaggeration, I can point to and even feel their help each and every time I ask for it. Thanking them comes naturally, of course.

I'm not slapping myself on the back here. It's been, and continues to be, a struggle to engage my spiritual life throughout the work day. But I can share that in the beginning it was far more "what might have been." With prayer and confidence in God's grace it slowly became what "still might be." And now that there's some success in all this, it remains "still might be." 

With the same attitude I take towards my work, there's always room for improvement. 


Comments

Popular Posts