Our Best "Go-To Guys" at Work

We need a "Go-To Guy" or "Go-To Guys" at work. They can be male or female. (And, yes, there are only those two genders!) These are folks you can rely on, rock-solid individuals who will always come through for you, especially when the going gets tough.

It's not the same thing as a true friend. Of course, such a person may become a friend over time, but they don't have to be a friend to be a real Go-To Guy.

If you're an employee in any size company, it's always good to seek out such people. And they may not be easy to find. When I was an employee, my experience was that such folks were rare. Indeed, one or two companies I worked for made it tough to either be or to find real Go-To Guys. These were companies with pretty brutal cultures. 

I was going to say competitive - and they were that - but a competitive culture doesn't preclude civility and doesn't require you to be selfish and cut-throat. But brutal company cultures don't really allow for most folks who want to get ahead to be anything but selfish and cut-throat. And they can be small companies or large corporations. I know. I worked for one of each. Brutal!

Even a sole proprietor who runs a small company with no employees can and should have a Go-To Guy or Guys. Now that I'm one such sole proprietor, I've had a few. One retired recently. Now I've got two. As I said, they're not easy to find. They're both professional colleagues who represent two distinct areas of my industry.

Three basic characteristics those two share are honesty, reliability, and competence. In my competitive world, there are lots of others who solicit for our business. Sometimes they represent companies that might offer somewhat enhanced products and services compared to the companies my Go-To Guys represent. But whenever I evaluate such enhancements they don't cause the scale to tip against my guys. 

There's a category of Go-To Guys that only us Catholics know. They're called angels and saints. And while the Go-To Guys I mentioned are valuable, almost irreplaceable, they can't hold a candle to my angels and saints.

When I say "my angels and saints" I mean just that.

There's my Guardian Angel, for instance. Then there are the patron saints of my business. I work hard at keeping them present during the work day. Of course, they don't disappear when I close up shop for the day. (For more on patron saints of your business, click HERE and HERE.)

In the case of my Guardian, I've tried to develop the habit of seeking his guidance and counsel from the moment I wake up until I hit the sack at night. But since we typically focus on work here, he's an invaluable "partner" in all my daily labor.

It wasn't always so. While I always knew of his existence, as well as his unique value to me, both body, mind, and soul, it's taken many years to develop the habit of keeping him "present" during the work day. I can't tell you how many times I found myself greeting him with that traditional prayer* in the morning, then chiding myself when the day's work was over for not even once thinking about him during the day. But by the grace of God, things have improved - with the emphasis on the grace of God. Left to my own devices, and despite my knowing how important it is to be "friends" with my Guardian, I'd still be doggy-paddling in place. At least now I can get to the other side of the pool. (A big deal for a terrible swimmer like me!)

Same holds for the patrons of my business. I've got two. It's been a similar struggle to keep them in some way present during the work day. The same routine as with my Guardian Angel has helped me turn this around somewhat.

If you're interested, here's my "ideal" discipline when it comes to keeping the presence of my Guardian Angel and the Patron Saints of my business. Again, it's taken literally years of effort to get it to where it's at now (and there's more progress needed, for sure). And this may not be the ideal in your case. But here it is:

For my Guardian Angel - who helps me in everything, not just work stuff - I've tried to acknowledge his presence and ask for his help throughout the day. On good days that may be, for example, when I start my morning spiritual exercises and physical exercises. Then I try to thank him for his help. (And I can assure you, when I ask, he helps.) Ditto throughout the work day.

I approach my patron saints in a similar way, albeit a bit more targeted. I've tried to recollect myself before starting a round of work; and sometimes I'll remember to thank them when I take a break - and so on throughout the work day. At the very least, I'll seek their help when the work day begins and thank them at the end, although I do prefer and am trying to develop the habit of soliciting their help before and after each task or project within the day.

While patron saints will be somewhat unique to each individual, there are other saints who can help us throughout our work day that are common to us all. We'll get to these next time...

Happy Easter!

 

*Angel of God, my guardian dear

To whom God's love commits me here

Ever this day be at my side

To light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen



Comments

Popular Posts