Psalm 41 Springs to LIfe at Work

We're building on our last post: focusing on the Psalms as a means to weave together our prayer and work. Today we look at an example of how so ordering the day's work and prayer allowed Psalm 41 springs to life recently.

This particular day found me beginning my work under all-out assault. While we've previously discussed the common and extraordinary pressures that we all face that can distract us from performing our work as we ought, this was a very personal assault. To set the stage:

First, an email exchange with an older brother: My wife and I can't visit as planned. I love my brother and we haven't seen each other in almost a year. Without getting into the specifics, it's related to COVID and the Mess it's created. One party is vaccinated; the other not. The vaccinated believes the unvaccinated present a clear and present danger. The reasons are unimportant. The result, though is: No visit. The morning of that exchange found me thinking: With this logic, will I ever see my dear brother again? (No exaggeration: He's 10+ years older and unless something changes, it could be a while or maybe never.)

Bad enough. Got down to work a bit distracted. Not mad at him; mad at all the fear-mongers who've gotten a grip on so many of us. But then came a text from one of our sons.

The text said he and his wife had to take their daughter - our grandchild - to the ER. And shortly after that, a tumor was discovered as the cause of our little girl's distress. She had just turned 3. Her condition was rare, and typically hit 3-4 year olds - hardly anyone else. Our dear granddaughter has cancer.   

Distraction quickly turned into worry, deep sadness, turmoil - to put it mildly. The work sat there. But since there was nothing we could do, it couldn't remain sitting. 

By the grace of God, I got to work. And, again with God's grace, did not forego my regular prayer scheduled during the work day. As a result Psalm 41 "showed up" during my scheduled time for praying the Divine Office.

Besides the fact that it's one of my favorites Psalms, that morning it presented itself in a whole new light. I don't think it needs much comment.

Psalm 41
41:2 As the hart panteth after the fountains of water; * so my soul panteth after thee, O God.
41:3 My soul hath thirsted after the strong living God; * when shall I come and appear before the face of God?
41:4 My tears have been my bread day and night, * whilst it is said to me daily: Where is thy God?
41:5 These things I remembered, and poured out my soul in me: * for I shall go over into the place of the wonderful tabernacle, even to the house of God:
41:5 With the voice of joy and praise; * the noise of one feasting.
41:6 Why art thou sad, O my soul? * and why dost thou trouble me?
41:6 Hope in God, for I will still give praise to him: * the salvation of my countenance, and my God. 

41:7 My soul is troubled within myself: * therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan and Hermoniim, from the little hill.
41:8 Deep calleth on deep, * at the noise of thy flood-gates.
41:8 All thy heights and thy billows * have passed over me.
41:9 In the daytime the Lord hath commanded his mercy; * and a canticle to him in the night.
41:9 With me is prayer to the God of my life. * I will say to God: Thou art my support.
41:10 Why hast thou forgotten me? * and why go I mourning, whilst my enemy afflicteth me?
41:11 Whilst my bones are broken, * my enemies who trouble me have reproached me;
41:11 Whilst they say to me day by day: Where is thy God? * Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why dost thou disquiet me?
41:12 Hope thou in God, for I will still give praise to him: * the salvation of my countenance, and my God.



That email exchange was enough to fluster me. The news about our granddaughter was totally devastating - for us yes, but exponentially more when we thought about our son and his wife. (Our grandaughter's illness s complicated and will require months of chemo, radiation, and surgery - all on a three-year old. Please pray for her.)

Just a couple of quick notes to be certain you see how Psalm 41 immediately springs to life in the midst of those extraordinary troubles:

Immediately I recalled how important was God's Presence and how much I desired it. ("...my soul panteth after thee)

I knew God was in fact with me, here and now, to help. ("Thou art my support")

This despite any natural emotional reaction the news may have sparked. ("Why hast thou forgotten me?")

He was here, in the midst of a world that pushes Him away, especially when we're at work in this oh-so-secular world of ours. ("Where is thy God?")

His grace gave me hope - even in the face of this terrible affliction to our granddaughter. ("Hope thou in God, for I will still give praise to him: the salvation of my countenance and my God.")

All of this flooded my mind, heart, and soul. I was able to attend to my duties diligently despite the worry over our granddaughter - which will naturally continue as she commences her treatment. Psalm 41 came alive as it did at such an opportune time only because I had developed the consistent habit of praying during my work day.

That day I learned again that prayer is more than words we speak or think. It must be part of our very being, something we cannot live without. If we give it a chance, it will infuse us with a calm and peace. And, consistent with the end game of our Stability Project, it will bring true stability not only to us as we labor throughout the day (or night) but to our workplace as well.





Comments

Popular Posts