This Psalm Lit Up My Work Day Last Week...continued

Let's continue with the Psalm that lit up my work day last week - Psalm 39. With my intention to serve God first and foremost, in all my thoughts, words, and deeds, we saw how the word of the Psalm immediately enlightened my mind and lifted my heart. But there is more for each of us as individuals to do as we go about our work. As His Psalm lit up my work day, I could see that He wants us to light up the world as we go about our business:

I have declared thy justice in a great church, lo, I will not restrain my lips: O Lord, thou knowest it.

I have not hid thy justice within my heart: I have declared thy truth and thy salvation.

I have not concealed thy mercy and thy truth from a great council.

Withhold not thou, O Lord, thy tender mercies from me: thy mercy and thy truth have always upheld me.

We musn't be shy about our faith, even on the job. Of course, we're not expected to stand up and preach the Good News to everyone. But our thoughts, our words, and our actions can "shout" our Catholic Faith to the whole world - and that includes our workplace.

In the workplace, justice requires that we give our best to our employer, our customers and clients, and our colleagues at work. Doing so presents a good example to others. It boosts the clarity and volume our "Catholic shout." Conversely if our efforts leave much to be desired, we're not giving a good example to others. Our "Catholic shout" will sound muted, nothing more than a meaningless mumble. So it's important to be aware of what sort of example we give to those around us.

Psalm 39 goes on to consider those of us dealing with a difficult circumstances. That could include our company, our physical surroundings, as well as less-than-desirable co-workers. 

For evils without number have surrounded me; my iniquities have overtaken me, and I was not able to see.

They are multiplied above the hairs of my head: * and my heart hath forsaken me.
Be pleased, O Lord to deliver me: * look down, O Lord, to help me.

Let them be confounded and ashamed together, that seek after my soul * to take it away.

Let them be turned backward and be ashamed * that desire evils to me.
Let them immediately bear their confusion, * that say to me: ’T is well, ’t is well.

Whether our work situation is pristine, or rough, all of us need to turn to God each morning before we begin the workday.

Let all that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: * and let such as love thy salvation say always: The Lord be magnified.

In our humility - knowing who we really are - we ask God's grace to accept the good and the bad that comes our way today.

But I am a beggar and poor: the Lord is careful for me.

Thou art my helper and my protector: O my God, be not slack. 

As we've seen, Psalm 39 lit up our day, but not in the sense of making everything jim-dandy. Instead, it gave us a mini road map to follow whatever the day brought - both the good and the bad. Can we ask for anything more of God?

As Father William Doyle's tells us:

"Abandon yourself completely into the hands of God, and take directly from Him every event of life, agreeable, or disagreeable. Only then can God make you really holy."

Comments

Popular Posts