A Serious Take on "Thy Will Be Done" As We Go To Work Today

If we take our Catholic Faith seriously, there's a good chance we've all said at least one Our Father before beginning our day's work. That means we've stated our sincere and serious intention to do God's Will in all we do. That's what's entailed when we pray "Thy Will be done."

Simple enough. But how serious are we really? Let's look at one person's take on "Thy Will be done" - that person being Father William Doyle. But let's first provide some context for Father's words before we consider them.

As we've seen in past posts, Father was a first-rate spiritual writer and director. More importantly, as many of his contemporaries have attested, he was a seriously holy man. An important part of his spiritual life was complete surrender to God's Will. As we'll see, when he says "complete' surrender to our Lord's Will, the precondition for "Thy Will be done," he means it.

While we read his words, we might ask ourselves whether we too wish to surrender ourselves completely to God's Will. 

Before any of us backs off with the excuse that "I'm not saint," let's hold on a minute. Most saints didn't pop into sainthood like popcorn from a heated kernel of dry corn. Some did, but most were simmered by their Divine Chef, sometimes for years and years until their flavors came together just so. But whether a kernel of popcorn or a savory plate of slow-cooked pulled pork, saints shared at least this in common: the serious intention to do God's Will in all things.

So as we begin our work today, let's see if we can make this serious intention, in all sincerity. It all starts with our intention. In that spirit, let's now read Father Willie's words. These aren't simply another entry in a diary or a letter to a spiritual child. Here Father makes his intention known and does so with a serious vow, made at midnight, as he spent time praying before the Blessed Sacrament. I suggest we turn off all distractions and let these words penetrate our minds, hearts, and souls:

“Most loving Jesus, kneeling before You in the Blessed Sacrament, I solemnly consecrate myself to Your Sacred Heart by vow. I vow always to be Your faithful lover and to strive every day to grow in Your love. In imitation of the oblation which B. Margaret Mary made of herself, I now wish to give myself up absolutely and entirely, without any reserve whatever, to Your most Sacred Heart, that You may be free to do with me, to treat me, as You wish, to send me whatever suffering or humiliation You wish. I desire to put no obstacle to the action of grace upon my soul, to be a perfect instrument in Your divine hands, to be Your victim should You so desire. I want to make this oblation and immolation of myself to Your Sacred Heart as completely as possible, and in the manner which You wish me to make it, O my Jesus. Therefore, again, by this vow, I make a complete surrender of myself and all I have to You. Do with me as You will, for from this hour I am wholly Yours. Amen.

Feast of St. Michael, Friday, Sept. 29th, 1910.

Made at Midnight. Signed W. J. DOYLE, S J.”

I'm no expert in such matters, but don't these words seem to be coming from one who takes seriously the intention of becoming a saint?

We who have been mere pikers in the matter of making a serious commitment to Our Lord, to doing His Will can learn much from Father's vow. Notice how he begins by expressing his profound love for Jesus; how, based on that love, he immediately surrenders himself to God's Will, holding nothing back. Nothing.

As we go about our work today - for the greater glory of God, of course - let's keep Father Willie's words fresh and alive before us. We might consider asking Father Willie for his intercession on our behalf. With his help we too may surrender ourselves so completely that we put God's Will first, even as we strive to do our best work - again, for His greater glory.

Father may not now be a canonized saint. But can a man who writes such words be far from the Divine Presence?

If we too so desire to some day share in the eternal happiness Our Lord offers us, it's time to take seriously those words we pray every day: "Thy Will be done."




Comments

Popular Posts