Applying some "Diligo" to Help Us Work For the Greater Glory of God Today

Today we'll consider how the Latin word "Diligo" can help us work for the greater glory of God. First, some background.

Having been educated in Jesuit High School and College, I'm well aware of the pluses (yes, there still are some!) and minuses of a so-called Jesuit education. While the minuses have exponentially increased since the 1960s, one plus has stood out: Ad maiorem Dei gloriam. Going back to the founding of the order, this has guided the Jesuits in their missionary work as well as in their extraordinary network of educational institutions built up over centuries.

If nothing else, a Jesuit education - at least when I attended their schools - hammered home the fundamental message that all we do, we do for the glory of God. Even now, when writing on a piece of paper (yes, I still do occasionally put an actual physical pen to to a physical piece of paper), I'll typically draw a small cross at the center of the page and place the letters AMDG in the four exterior quadrants - something like this (though not as fancy):

It's a good habit. It not only focuses my efforts while I'm putting pen to paper, but this bit of Latin serves as a reminder that all I do should be for the greater glory of God.

With this in mind, I recently came across a Latin word that might assist us in our endeavor to work Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam. Now, I'm not all that deft with Latin. But we Jesuit high-schoolers did take 4 years of what was once the universal language of our Catholic Church. So when I read a post in Father Z's always nourishing blog that referenced the Latin word, Diligo, it immediately connected with my work that day. Here's what Father had to say about Diligo:

Diligo is marvelous. Initially it means, “to value or esteem highly, to love”. It also carries the impact of “careful, assiduous, attentive, diligent, accurate”, as in our word “diligent”.

Yes, it is marvelous. And it's particularly marvelous when it comes to our work. 

First, in the case of those who really enjoy what they do, you apply "Diligo" in describing how you value, esteem highly, even love your work. In my own case, I've had jobs I hated, jobs that were so-so; but now I have been blessed with work I value and esteem highly because of the benefit it provides to my clients or customers. It really does. And while each and every task during the day may not be lovable, when I see that benefit, how it impacts certain people, it's not a stretch to say that, in those cases, I love what I do.

Second, consider "careful, assiduous, attentive, diligent, accurate." There's a list that could describe the approach we should take every day to each task we handle, don't you think? In my own case, it's a must. You can't produce the quality work my firm produces without this little list. And whatever specific work you do, even if you're not a big fan of the work you're doing right now, you can still apply "Diligo" each day. Just recall that we all must diligently apply ourselves to the duties of our state of life. These duties include the work we do to earn money to support our families. Even if the job's not your cup of tea, you're still called to do your best, to provide appropriate value for the wages you're paid.

Not only that, but diligently performing tasks that may not be your favorites will build character, mental, emotional, even physical toughness. All of these will serve you on and off the job. 

So take "Diligo" to work today. Keep it front and center. Apply it as you begin, let it sustain you throughout the day, and you'll find yourself at the tail end of a genuinely satisfying round of work. 

In the end, "Diligo" will assure that your work has been done for Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam - for the greater glory of God.

I'll take that satisfaction any day of the week.

Comments

Popular Posts