A 2nd Sunday after Pentecost Thought to Start the Week Off Right

We keep coming back to the "respite" that Sunday provides us Catholics who work for a living all week. If God rested on the 7th Day, so should we. So goes the perennial teaching of Holy Mother Church.

Of course, recent experience contradicts this. If we set aside the Mess that accompanied the Corona Virus pandemic, folks don't really take the Day of Rest thing very seriously. You have to wonder why - especially if they work hard all week.

It wasn't so long ago that most stores were closed on Sunday. People made the effort to get their shopping done so they didn't have to fight traffic and crowds and walk the aisles on Sunday to get whatever they needed. No longer. In fact, some folks look forward to getting out and shopping. (At least that's what they claim.) I don't know about you, but after a long work week, a Sunday "off" always looks enticing to me. Except for emergencies, shopping's off my To Do list.

But Sunday respite isn't just about rest. It's also about time: time with God. We go to Mass. Ideally, we make additional time for God. If we already spend time every day in prayer, meditation, study of our Catholic Religion, spiritual reading, etc., we might find a Sunday respite allows us to linger longer on one of these. For example, recently I took some time to read about the history of the Divine Office, something I like to pray daily when I can. What I learned helps me better understand the Office, which helps me to pray it better.

If you don't take time during the week for these pious practices, Sunday might be the best time to start. It doesn't take much to get started. With a little smarts and the bare minimum of technical facility, the Internet can bring you plenty to read and/or listen to good Catholic writing, audios, videos, etc.

Sometimes on Sunday, I just take a little time to think and/or meditate. This Sunday I reviewed recent notes I took from my daily prayer and meditation. I found this helpful because of some of the things going on in our family life right now. It's a time of change that may see us moving to a new home in the not too distant future. Considering that we've lived in our current home for almost 4 decades, it's no small thing. Add to this various changes and other happenings going on in the lives of our now-adult children. It all came to a head and injected some intense anxiety through my usually thick skull. 

With all that, I just had to open up and pray (plead?) for God's help. My thoughts went something like this:

O Lord, the uncertainty and fear that paid a visit last night begin to ease with the dawn. The prospect of having to move to places unknown at the moment brings uncertainty. With that uncertainty, some fear. Fear of what? Not sure. But this morning You spoke to me as I prayed the Novena to Your Holy Spirit. I didn't hear Your "voice," but I knew it was You when I read the description of the Gift of Fortitude included in the Novena:


“By the Gift of Fortitude the soul is strengthened against natural fear, and supported to the end in the performance of duty.” First a direct assurance of strength against fear, if You would grant me Your Gift of Fortitude. With that, Your support this day and every day in the performance of the duties of my state of life. Thank You.

“Fortitude imparts to the will an impulse and energy which move it to undertake without hesitancy the most arduous tasks, to face dangers, to trample under foot human respect, and to endure without complaint the slow martyrdom of even lifelong tribulation.” 

All that seems overwhelming about leaving our home, the move itself, the financing of it, all will be met with Fortitude that supports the will and injects the impulse and energy we will need to do what must be done without hesitation. Dangers, both real and perceived, can be faced with Fortitude. The opinions of others, such as they might cause us to question our decisions will be held in place by Fortitude. We will seek to do Your Will and not concern ourselves with pleasing others. 

And as for the slow martyrdom that may continue, whether it be the pain and sorrow over the death of our dearest son, or the suffering due to our sins, we will endure all without complaint with the Gift of Fortitude.

The point here: It has been my experience that something in my regular study and spiritual reading "shows up" at a fortuitous moment - just when I need it. I'm not saying this happens all the time. But it happens often enough that even my typical skepticism cannot ignore it, certainly not deny it.

So if you're not doing some study of your Catholic Religion and some spiritual reading on a regular - ideally daily - basis, get started now. Sunday provides us with the respite from our normal activities. Take advantage of it.

The benefit will accrue to you. God will be pleased. What's not to like?

Comments

Popular Posts