Lent Has Begun!

Lent has begun. For the first time in memory, I did not receive ashes. The oddball method of distribution - some vague sort of "sprinkling" at some distance from the priest just didn't make sense. 

And so the C-Virus Mess continues to wreak havoc on our public liturgy. 

But despite it all, we have work to do. And now we work within the enclosure of this most holy season, Mess or no Mess. Let's try to simply recollect ourselves as best we can and begin this day in the right spirit.

Our recent posts helped us identify potential soft spots in our character and our soul. If we took the time to consider each, there's a good chance one or more emerged as potential areas for improvement. As we begin Lent, we might make an intention of excising one or more of these faults. While we must do our part, we know that only God's grace will do the real cutting. 

Our Lenten discipline serves as way to ask for and obtain that grace. Special prayers, fasting, almsgiving will all help to burn away the ego fat and make room for Our Lord. His Passion and Death grow closer as we approach Good Friday. If we can make some room in our souls for Him, we will be among those in that room whom He graced with His glorious Presence after His Resurrection.

But before the Resurrection, there's Lent. We've got a ways to go. If, like me, you're not a big fan of fasting, mortification, sacrifice, here's something from a holy priest whose spiritual writing you might consider as part of your regular reading and meditation. I've read selections of his writing in a collection I've often used in my own regular reading. Only recently I found a wonderful website dedicated to him. I visit it often. You may find it worth a visit. It could be a good place to visit during Lent. The daily postings allow sufficient time for even the busiest Catholic man at work to begin the day with a shot of spiritual energy booster.

While your faults may not be mine, and vice-versa, this passage from our holy priest stands a good chance of applying to just about all of us I suspect. And it's particularly appropriate for this Holy Season of Lent, particularly if we're taking seriously the discipline of self-denial.

Father has been thinking about the Nativity:

“What impressed me most in the meditation on the Nativity was the thought that Jesus could have been born in wealth and luxury, or at least with the ordinary comforts of life, but He chose all that was hard, unpleasant and uncomfortable. This He did for me, to show me the life I must lead for Him. If I want to be with Christ, I must lead the life of Christ, and in that life there was little of what was pleasing to nature. I think I have been following Christ, yet how pleasant and comfortable my life has always been – ever avoiding cold, hunger, hard work, disagreeable things, humiliations, etc. 

‘My Jesus, You are speaking to my heart now. I cannot mistake Your voice or hide from myself what You want from me and what my future life should be. Help me for I am weak and cowardly…O my God, make me a saint, and I consent to suffer all You ask for the rest of my life.’ What is God asking from me now? Shall I go back on that offering?” (Father William Doyle, S.J., 1873-1917)

We don't work in order to suffer. At the very least we strive for some modest security and sufficiency. Perhaps some of us do better than the bare essentials. But even if our work does provide some reasonable comfort in its material rewards, Lent is a good time to recall that comfort isn't the point. Neither is financial remuneration for a job well done.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit." Why? "...for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Father's words can help us unite us all in our work during Lent. Inevitably, work will bring not only challenges, but sometimes even anxiety and suffering. In those moments, especially during Lent, we're given the opportunity to offer these up to Our Lord, especially in consideration of His own suffering.  

Our work here on earth must address our material needs - but not to the exclusion of our spiritual needs. In that spirit, we can and should bring Lent to work with us during each day of this Holy Season. 

While our chances to fast and perform acts of penance on the job may be limited, it's hard to conceive of work that doesn't allow the application of some Lenten discipline. If we sincerely do our best, we'll have been successful in bringing Lent to our work.

Let's conclude with that short Lenten prayer we've used in our Lent posts over the years:

We adore Thee O Christ and we bless Thee. Because by Thy Holy Cross Thou hast redeemed the world.

Comments

Popular Posts