Challenges at Work and Our Spiritual Life - Part 2

We continue with a thread that's in its second week. Last time we looked at a short-lived but intense challenge. These can hit out of the blue like a ton of bricks. But because they're short, if we have both natural and supernatural means to fend them off, they pass - most of the time - without doing much damage. Occasionally they may blow a hole or two in our business process, our ability to complete a task, our anticipated results, etc. But if, as a rule, we run our work life calmly and steadily, we can handle the crisis, make up for what's been damaged or delayed, and get on with our work.

The flip side of these short intense crises: a long, drawn out, grinding, perhaps even debilitating challenge that keeps sucking the wind out of us day after day after day. Here, again, a personal example.

In our recent posts on this thread, in a comment related to a challenge that recently impacted me physically, I mentioned that I was now fine. The "fine" referred to not having the COVID virus. That's all good. But I wasn't exactly fine. In fact, haven't been that great since...hmmm...November. (Is it that long?) Without getting into all the details, it's been one physical injury, strain, or impairment after another. From what? Various causes, some known, some unknown. At the end of the day, I've had to curtail a few things I typically do, although I've managed to keep up my physical exercise with some minor modifications.

Now, things seem to finally be clearing up a bit. But just as they are, a family member was tested positive for COVID, so we've been self-quarantining for those required 14 days, based on person-to-person contact. 

Oh well.

The physical challenges have varied, ranging from pretty intense to not-so-bad. But the mere length of all this - a bit more than three months, has made this a kind of challenge marathon. Yet, just as the short, intense challenge mentioned last time hasn't thrown work out of whack too much, the same applies to this long, grinding challenge. 

The method of dealing with it has been pretty much as described last time, both from the natural and supernatural perspective, with one addition. After a certain stretch of time, I did "have a talk" with God about what seemed to be a never-ending - and at one point deteriorating - series of bodily woes. Not that I'm complaining. 

While my family was aware that I was struggling a bit, I didn't talk much about it. (Because I almost exclusively work from home, they see me on and off the job all the time.) I just plowed ahead, starting the day on time, sometimes working late, with some weekend time thrown in, especially with the start of the calendar year (as is typical). Sure, there was a bit more fatigue at the end of an especially long day. But my talk with God had no tinge of annoyance or any questioning of why He was "doing" this to me. It was just to let Him know (as if He already didn't) that there were times I was really struggling and could use an extra shot or two of first, grace, second maybe a jolt of physical strength, third, some relief.

As for the last, relief, it was definitely third on the list. Over time, I've tried to develop the habit of offering up any difficulty or suffering. In time, I've also tried to thank God for whatever it is I can offer up. That last part has taken some extra effort, since I'm not a big fan of pain and suffering. But keep at anything and you'll likely make at least a modicum of progress. 

And so it has been during this stretch. Even during those brief times when I sheepishly asked for some relief, I added that, if it was His Will, I would accept whatever He sent or permitted. Yeah, I know, words are cheap. But I did mean it when I said it, and, far as I can tell, intention is everything

Admittedly even this long, grinding challenge could have been a lot worse. I've gotten good with dealing with physical stuff, given a history of combined genetic issues and various injuries. So far, I've been able to manage, even minimize what might throw some others off stride (at least I like to think that). 

Once you understand your body's vulnerabilities, you can learn to deal with weak spots and chronic tendencies through a combination of learning and experience. You can apply the same process to your spiritual life as well. We all have weaknesses and maybe chronic bad tendencies or habits that need attending. If you're willing to put in the time and effort in the supernatural (spiritual) realm as you do in natural (physical), you've got a good one-two punch for facing up to challenges. 

We've focused on those challenges as they affect our work, but the same holds true for challenges in our personal life as well. Frankly, I've found the work challenges a bit easier and less complicated to address. Personal stuff can get more involved. Not only does it frequently involve loved ones (rather than clients or customers), but your self gets in the way more on the personal side. At least that's been my experience. I'm better at keeping my ego or self at bay in my work relationships and endeavors than I am in my personal interactions, especially when it comes to loved ones.

But business or personal, do allow your spiritual life to help you meet your challenges. However these are met and resolved, you stand a good chance of growing closer to Our Lord - which makes it all worthwhile.

Comments

Popular Posts