A Sunday Thought About Who's Hiding Where and Why

It's now over 6 months since our C-Virus World caused our bishops to close our churches. I was going to say "forced," but then I had trouble recalling any protest or push-back of any kind from any of our Bishops to the draconian demands that all churches must cease Sunday gatherings (Mass, services, etc.). There may have been a few exceptions, but they've escaped me.

Six months in, we've got some change, with most churches now allowing the Mass under the new "rubrics" of our C-Virus World: masks, 6 foot distancing, hand sanitizer instead of holy water, communion in the hand only (in our diocese), etc. And, even if not ideal, the little changes count for something. Count your blessings might apply here.

One thing that hasn't changed in our neck of the woods: Our Ordinary remains, well, I don't know how to describe it: in hiding? Haven't seen hide nor hair of him in what seems like forever. I had thought it was just me thinking this, but one our sons brought this up the other day. "Where's the Cardinal?" he asked, in a truly puzzled tone. 

I've tried to quell my tendency to criticize when it comes to our Novus Ordo Church, so his comment wasn't due to something I said. I'm not sure how it came up. But we found ourselves half-seriously speculating where he was, along with his other auxiliary bishops. Was he in Malibu, or the Riviera basking in the sun? Was he huddled in a dark room trembling with fear of getting COVID? I won't get into the other iterations, but you get the point.

It's bizarre to say the least.

But besides bizarre, it may be negligent as well. Isn't a bishop a shepherd? If he is, and we're his flock, have you ever heard of a shepherd who takes a hike and lets the sheep wander aimlessly? That's not what shepherds do. And if they did, and the sheep as a result wander, can the wolves be far away?

It brings to mind the famous and beautiful image of Our Lord seeking for the lost sheep and carrying him on his back. We have a carved wooden statue of this in our living room. I sit next to a lot, but only occasionally notice it. I'm glancing at it now. Our Lord is slightly hunched over, the sheep sitting across his shoulders. His face is somber, even a bit weary. The sheep must be heavy. In fact, if you've ever seen a live sheep, you know they are heavy.

Being a shepherd isn't like a day at the beach.

Have thoughts something like this crossed the mind of the Shepherd of our diocese? Heck, if I can think this way, he who has spent much of his life steeped in the Gospels, must have had an inkling of this, right? Ya think?

And yet, as of this writing, the radio silence continues. 

So let's check the Archdiocese website. First thing that comes up: The Cardinal's Appeal. Oh, there he is in a video asking for our dough. Business as usual?

I'll leave it at that. I can sense a searing lack of charity brewing in my fevered brain. The guy's who he is. He must have his own reasons for disappearing and staying disappeared. Maybe the reasons are legitimate. I have no way of knowing. 

So where he's hiding and why remain a mystery - going on six months.

Oh, and just so you don't think I'm making too much of this, I'll just let Jim Caviezel back me up - with much stronger words than mine:


Happy Sunday!

 



Comments

Popular Posts