A Sunday Thought About What Trusting in God Really Means

We've spent time on the Interior Life during our weekday posts recently. It's so important, it's hard to stop now.

A strong Interior Life includes trusting in God - really trusting. I don't know about you, but that's never come easy to me. Just when I think I really trust in God, something comes along that tests me. 

The fact is, it's an ongoing effort - a struggle many times - to trust in God totally. But despite the times when that trust isn't so strong, I keep at it. Isn't that what we're supposed to do when it comes to our spiritual life - keep at it?

Even saints had to keep at it. Sure, there were some who were almost born perfect and pure - but these are few and far between. A couple of examples: St. Stanislaus Kostka, who died at 18. St. Dominic Savio was 15. Maybe, dying so young, they escaped some of the terrible temptations that visit us all from time to time. I don't know.

But most saints did have those terrible temptations. And they struggled as do we. What they maybe do better is getting up and starting over again when they did hit a wall, or slip and fall. Perhaps they could do this because they trust in God - totally trust in Him. They trust in His Mercy and Love. They trust in His benevolence - that He always wants the best for us - even when things go terribly wrong in our lives.

So here's a poem that tries - successfully I think - to capture what it's like to trust totally in God. 

Perfect Trust

“Oh, for the peace of a perfect trust,
My loving God, in Thee;
Unwavering faith, that never doubts
Thou choosest best for me.
Best, though my plans be all upset;
Best, though the way be rough;
Best, though my earthly store be scant;
In Thee I have enough.
Best, though my health and strength be gone,
Though weary days be mine,
Shut out from much that others have;
Not my will, Lord, but Thine.
And e’en though disappointments come,
They too are best for me;
To wean me from this changing world,
And lead me nearer Thee.
Oh, for the peace of a perfect trust
That looks away from all;
That sees Thy hand in everything,
In great events and small;
That hears Thy voice – a Father’s voice –
Directing for the best,
Oh, for the peace of a perfect trust,
A heart with Thee at rest.”
(Author unknown)

It's easier to trust in God when things are going well. It's easier, too, when you're sitting on top of the world. This poem speaks to the rest of us. Some of us aren't all that materially prosperous. Some - likely many - are dealing with problems that appear unsolvable. 

It's easy to say that we need to trust God even in our darkest times. But the fact is, that's probably exactly when it's more important. 

This is what trusting in God really means.

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular Posts