Some Things I'm Learning From Clients During This C-Virus Mess

Clients have been sharing their thoughts about what's going on in their lives as they deal with this C-Virus mess. Without any prompting they're also opining about what's going on in the world these days. Things are obviously weighing heavily on their minds. Here are some things I'm hearing from them:

The C-Virus Mess continues. Reliable information continues to be scarce. Confusion and lies proliferate. The economy remains in the dumps. And through it all, the stock market pushes higher and higher, signaling - if you believe markets anticipate the future - that all is well, and getting better every day. Except that no one seems to believe this is the case.

One quick note about "confusion and lies." Most haven't actually used those words. But they all seem to think some politicians, experts, and media aren't being straight with us. As you might expect, views tend to be tempered by where you stand on the political spectrum.

Those leaning conservative/right express at least a degree of skepticism about the seriousness of COVID. Some espouse the theory that it would be little more than a bad cold for most of us if we catch it. But even if they think it's something to be actively avoided, whatever measures you think make sense, they pretty much all don't like the economic lock-down. They wonder if it was really necessary. Some - though not all - believe it was politically motivated to undermine Trump, rather than an effective way to control the spread of COVID. And, as you might expect, many either resent or minimize the wearing of face masks.

Those leaning liberal/left differ. They lean towards COVID being dangerous and needing draconian measures to be imposed for our personal safety. Interestingly, though, even some of these aren't so sure the total lock-down made sense. Those who question its necessity think that there could have been more modest or moderated measures taken. Then again, some believe total lock-down was best for all. Most wear and espouse wearing face masks, although a few express frustration with doing this, even admitting they won't wear them outdoors.

All, however, express concerns about the economy and the rioting. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to say that even the most liberal are groping for ways to get the economy going, even as they avoid going out (still), and mask if they do. They understand that a return to pre-COVID days isn't on the horizon. The liberals tend to think a vaccine is the best way to get things straight. The conservatives harp on letting people go about their business with few, if any, restrictions. I haven't asked how many have gone to a restaurant recently. Of those I know better, none have.

The rioting has presented some interesting contrasts. Those who don't live in cities where such occurred express surprise when I explain what's happened where we live. That explanation makes it clear that the riots were not spontaneous, but rather were planned - and planned carefully. The conservatives tend to know this. The liberals, while not denying it, seem uncomfortable when this is mentioned. They typically ask something like, "But who's behind this, if the riots have indeed been carefully planned." Sometimes a discussion ensues, sometimes I just let it rest.

If asked, I've taken to a blunt reply: People who mean to undermine, even overthrow our government and reshape our society in their own image. I've even taken to just saying they're Marxists, i.e., Communists. The conservatives don't blink, typically. The liberals, though, appear to have some thought that some sort of "right-wing" groups are behind the riots or at least are involved.

I'll stop here. While the subject of "Black Lives Matter" has arisen, I've chosen not to get into extended discussions about those folks. Occasionally "Antifa" comes up; but, with few exceptions, I don't present my own beliefs about their involvement, and why that involvement should be of serious concern. There's only so much time you can spend on these subjects when you're supposed to be having a phone meeting related to their issues and concerns about their money and their financial future.

I suspect these exchanges will not end. It will be interesting to see if they expand in the near future. A further deterioration in the economy, another wave of violence would likely spark things.

The key thing I'm learning is that, with very few exceptions, most folks - at least in my world - are either confused or outright worried about the future. And I certainly don't have any pat answers for them.

On a few occasions, when it was possible to naturally pivot during a conversation, I have brought God into the picture. But it's not something I'm chomping at the bit to spit out. It's more like taking a shot when opportunity knocks.

I've had some exchanges about God and religion at times with most clients. The death of our son in January of 2019 called for more outright expression of my faith in God's mercy, in spite of being puzzled about why He would permit our son to be struck down as he was. It was only natural - I would say even necessary - to express my thoughts and beliefs, albeit briefly. But here, I'm more light on my feet.

Nonetheless, despite these being work relationships, I'm not going to be shy when there's a natural opening. If the mention of God - even of my Catholic faith - makes sense, then it's going to come out.

I have no illusions that any thoughts and comments on my part will impart any spiritual benefit to anyone. But I do pray that God will grant both me and them the grace needed to better know, love, and serve him - especially during this C-Virus mess.

Comments

Popular Posts