Why Gaining and Edge at Work Has Never Been More Important - 4

We've been talking about gaining an edge at work. The mess created by COVID and the lockdowns imposed by governments motivated this. We've re-considered the areas we first focused on a few posts ago: Family, the Economy, Social Unrest, the Church. Last time we began our reassessment of the current situation in the Church. We saw that gaining an edge at work may not be as important when it comes to the Church's response to the C-Virus mess. Why?

First, we saw that the Church entered this mess already in a distressed state - one that began decades (if not centuries) ago. Given the facts, for me it's been something I've learned to live with, for better or for worse.

While the closing of churches and the "disappearance" of the Sacraments was somewhat distracting at first. it's not been all that bad. Not only that, there's been a bit of a silver lining. Last time I mentioned that I wasn't so surprised at the mildness of the distraction. Instead, something unexpected popped up almost out of the blue: a strengthening of faith. Here's what happened.

After the first days of the lock-downs, after some initial pangs of guilt and some confusion over my "easy" acceptance of no Mass, no Sacraments, I prayed for some hint of understanding. The answer came rather quickly: My faith was stronger than I had ever thought.

Years of prayer, reading Scripture, spiritual reading, and study of my Catholic Religion had hammered home the love and mercy of God. (My thick skull needed hammering!) In the specific incidence of the church closing and absence of the Sacraments, that love and mercy manifested itself in two steps:

Step 1: I knew that I didn't close down the churches. I didn't eliminate the Sacraments. All of that was imposed by our Bishops' response to the dictates of the state. But that still left the rather mild uneasiness this generated.

You see, I had learned that consistent attendance at Mass, reception of Holy Communion and regular Confession all helped a miserable sinner like me to grapple with temptation and sin. Holy Communion was like medicine for the sick soul. It restored the strength lost in giving in to temptation. Holy Communion mends the spiritual tears caused by venial sins, especially those of the habitual variety. Confession, on the other hand, was a preventative measure. Yes, we go to ask forgiveness. But we can seek and obtain forgiveness without the confessional (a subject for another time and decidedly not a Protestant "Why confess to a person?" position). Despite being able to seek and obtain forgiveness outside the confessional, regular Confession remains the unassailably unique preventative measure we Catholics have to strengthen ourselves against the lures world, the flesh, and the devil.

Step 2: When I found myself managing my spiritual life reasonable well without Mass, Holy Communion, and Confession, it was confusing at first. I knew Mass and the Sacraments were our main sources of grace. I knew that God-given grace was what kept me (at least somewhat modestly) on the straight and narrow (or at least on this side of the river Styx). That's when my understanding of the love and mercy of God quickly stepped in. This loving and merciful God would not withhold the graces we normally obtain from Mass and the Sacraments if these have been ripped from our grasp without our knowledge and consent. In some way, He has seen to it that we receive the grace we need despite our current mess.

Maybe I'm just blowing smoke here. I'm not a theologian. Obviously I have no special skill in discerning the Mind of God. But it's clear to me that God has acted as God: a loving Father, a redeeming Savior, a enlightening Spirit. He dwells in us and will not permit bad decisions by our current Bishops and the sometimes feckless response by some of our priests to dislodge Him.

With all that, I'm not going to be presumptuous. When available, I'll resume attending Mass. When possible, I will receive the Sacraments. I will continue to practice my religion religion daily in prayer, reading, meditation, study.

Oh, and with all this, I have gained an additional edge at work. My moments of recollection of God's presence, my interior aspirations (My Jesus, I love You...etc.), my determination to work for the greater glory of God have never been more alive.

Last time I mentioned all this has given me pause to reassess my relationship to the Church and how that relationship might look in the future. Here's the answer:

My relationship has been strengthened in a very specific way. With my certain knowledge of God's mercy and forgiveness, and how He has continued to provide the graces we need despite questionable actions by our Bishops, I understand as never before the Church is not the Bishops nor the clergy. It's not any of us serious, not so serious Catholics laypeople. I understand as never before that Holy Mother Church is the Bride of Christ, now and forever. That relationship can never be severed, never diminished one iota by any of us. 

And so my relationship with the Church remains solid, substantial and at peace, despite our current mess. As for my former state of passively "living with" with the people and institutions that have undermined our venerable traditions under the guise of some "Spirit of Vatican II," that's over with. I pray that charity will prevail in any contacts or encounters I have with these sorts. No complaining; but no passive compliance either. And, oh...

No Communion in the hand! No Confession in the parking lot! (At least for now.)

With that, it's time to get back to work.

Comments

Popular Posts