How Liberty of Spirit Can Help Us Get Through the Day

We're continuing our special series of posts to help us work through this Holy Season of Lent. Each will incorporate the advice provided by Father de Caussade in Abandonment to Divine Providence, specifically referencing passages from the "Letters on the Practice of Abandonment to Divine Providence" that are typically included in editions of his spiritual writing.

The title of Letter IV is "Libert of Spirit." Father again addresses his recent transfer. The people with whom he must work aren't always to his liking. His duties have changed. While he enjoys some aspects of his new situation, he's not always crazy about the daily work that's now his responsibility.

I don't know about you, but this describes much of my own experience at work over the years. Reading this passage, I recalled times where I harped on what I didn't like about a particular job. On the flip side, how often had I pined for those times when I could focus on what I really liked doing! Has this ever been your lot? If so, this Letter may help you, as it did me.

"It is true that, at first, I felt a keen pain at finding myself loaded with a multitude of business affairs
and other cares quite contrary to my attraction for silence and solitude; but notice how divine
Providence has managed about it. God has given me the grace not to attach myself to any of these
affairs, therefore my spirit is always at liberty. I recommend the success of them to His fatherly
care, and this is why nothing distresses me. Things often go perfectly, and then I return thanks to
God for it, but sometimes everything goes wrong and I bless Him for that equally and offer it to
Him as a sacrifice. Once this sacrifice is made God puts everything right. Already this good Master
has, more than once, given me these pleasant surprises. As regards having time to myself, I have
more here than elsewhere. Visits are rare now, because I only go where duty obliges me, or necessity
calls me. The Fathers themselves knowing my tastes, soon left me alone, and as they are aware that
I do not act in this way out of pride or misanthropy, they do not take exception to my conduct, and
indeed many are edified by it. Nevertheless I am not quite so dead as you seem to think, but God
has given me grace not to care how discontented people are with me for following my own bent.
It is He alone whom we ought to have any great interest in pleasing; as long as He is satisfied that
is enough for us all, other things are a mere nothing. In a short time we shall appear before this
great and sovereign Master, this infinite Being. Alas! of what avail will it be to us then for eternity
to have done anything except for Him and inspired by His grace, and His holy Spirit? If one became
more familiarised with those simple truths, what repose would not our hearts and souls enjoy during
this present life?"


Father notes how God granted him the grace not to attach himself to either the good or the bad. This lack of attachment gives him "liberty of spirit." Here are some simple examples of how any of us can apply liberty of spirit on the job, concerning what we do and with whom we do it.

When it comes to what we do, develop the ability to accept what we don't like without complaint. In those times when we're able to work on interesting, stimulating, enjoyable tasks, be thankful; but don't spend even a moment desiring to do them to the exclusion of what we don't like. By trusting that God's plan for us always has our best interests in mind, we take the good with the bad in stride throughout the day.

As for those with whom we work, note especially Father's remark that he doesn't care "how discontented people are with me...". If you get along with everyone, great. But that's not always possible. You can't please everyone, no matter how hard to might try, no matter how pleasant your personality. At the end of the day, if we're applying ourselves assiduously to our work, while managing to be charitable to one and all, that's pretty much all we can do. If someone finds you irritating - for whatever reason - so be it.

If your work, like mine, offers plenty of challenges, liberty of spirit can surely help us get through any given day.

We adore Thee O Christ, and we bless Thee,
Because by Thy Holy Cross Thou hast redeemed the world.

Comments

Popular Posts