Getting Down to Work Without Mass

Another break from our Lenten series, this one addressing the suspension of Holy Mass around the world.

If you're Catholic, you attend Mass at least on Sunday. Some of us may attend during the week as well. Whatever your practice, if Mass has been suspended it's likely a bit disconcerting.

The announcement in our Diocese came on a Saturday. Just like that. It was one of the earliest. I wasn't surprised, but I did feel a bit rattled. I quickly realized that if they're suspending Mass, they're likely going to suspend Confession too.

I had already stopped receiving Communion before the announcement. Why? Because I only receive on the tongue. And I knew two things: 1) We'd likely be told only Communion on the hand would be allowed (and that's not something I could do); 2) I did have concerns about standing in line, close to others, given that the Coronavirus can spread through close contact.

So I made spiritual Communions, both on Sunday and during the times I attended Mass during the week. Spiritual Communions were not a stranger to me. But they weren't common either. I put one of the many prayers for Spiritual Communion on my phone. So when Communion was distributed, I just remained in the pew and read my prayer. That lasted for a couple of weeks until Masses were suspended.

Throughout this initial ordeal (not receiving Our Lord Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity, in the form of the host) I didn't notice any great impact or change in my life. Maybe that's because I really understand and believe in the efficacy of spiritual Communion.

What about now?

It's been almost two weeks now without Mass. Generally, I haven't "felt" any great difference. Maybe that will change. The biggest impact: my work routine. Since I try to get to Mass weekday mornings, there was an immediate impact. That block of time "opened up." My first reaction was to sleep a bit later. Not out of laziness (at least I don't think it's laziness), but in order to assure I'm getting proper rest. I'm not a great sleeper. Some night's I'm awake for an hour, sometime two. The next day I feel it. But, as you likely have read, a lack of sleep can make you more vulnerable to this disease. So making sure I'm not sleep deprived has helped - I think.

That's all on a purely physical level. What about the spiritual side of things?

Honestly, I can't say that I'm feeling too out of sorts - at least not yet. I miss going to Mass for sure, just as I missed being able to receive Communion in my normal manner (on the tongue). But I do have some spiritual discipline, and that's continued unabated. I still practice my morning routine of prayer, spiritual reading, reading Scripture, studying the tenets of my Catholic faith, along with some minutes of quiet meditation. I'm saying my rosary.

Will "missing" Mass negatively impact my life? It certainly does impact it. I haven't missed Sunday Mass for any reason in memory. Years ago, after the birth of our first child, I returned to attending Sunday Mass (for reasons I've posted about in the past). But it's been a straight and perfect run ever since. So, yes, there's been an impact. But negative?

I don't feel or perceive a negative impact. Frankly, that's been a little disconcerting. Is there something wrong with me? Has my belief in the efficacy of the Sacrament of Communion, Confession been weak? Has the central place of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in my life - the place where it belongs - been some sort of mirage?

Now, I realize it's not even been two weeks. So maybe there will be some negative impact coming. But having given it some thought, I won't be surprised if that doesn't happen.

My thoughts here: God never dumps anything on us or allows anything to happen to us that we can't - at least in some fashion - handle. He gives us the grace to face any difficulties that come to us. If you've read this blog in the past, you may have stumbled on the few posts that addressed the death of our oldest child in early 2019 - not that long ago. It's the worst thing that's ever happened to us - by far. And, yes, in His mysterious way, God permitted this terrible thing, but also gave us the grace we needed to bear up. He continues to give us the grace to bear up every day. (The impact of the death of our child doesn't go away. I suspect that may be the case until the day I die.) It was, and remains, a part of God's Plan.

So much as I miss going to Mass, I'm going to just ignore all those thoughts about whether I should be feeling bad - or at least worse than I do. Somehow, this too is part of God's plan. And that's where I leave it.

On a practical level, I just go about my business as I normally do. From time to time (as I just did while writing this post), I can recite something called the "Mass of St. John." It's brief and intended to be prayed when we can't get to Mass. It's not particular to the current situation, but rather can be prayed whenever we can't get to Mass and would have liked to. The sections and language derive from the traditional Latin Mass, but you shouldn't find anything "alien" in that. It even includes an Act of Spiritual Communion.

I'm pasting it below in the hope you find this helpful in your own situation. Here it is:



Mass of Saint John





Intention:



For the glory of the Blessed Trinity, I unite myself with all the Priests, whoever they may be in the Church, who, with pure and true intention are offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, through Him, with Him and in Him. 


The Offertory




Receive, O Holy Father, almighty and eternal God, this spotless host, which I, Thy unworthy servant, offer unto Thee, my living and true God, for mine own countless sins, offenses, and negligences, and for all here present, as also for all faithful Christians living and dead, that it may avail both for my own and their salvation unto life eternal.  Amen.





The Consecration




Who the day before He suffered took bread into His holy and venerable hands, and with eyes lifted up to heaven, unto Thee, God, His almighty Father, giving thanks to Thee, He blessed, broke and gave it to His disciples, saying: Take and eat ye all of this,



FOR THIS IS MY BODY



In like manner, after He had supped, taking also this excellent chalice into His holy and venerable hands, and giving thanks to Thee, He blessed and gave it to His disciples, saying: Take and drink ye all of this,



FOR THIS IS THE CHALICE OF MY BLOOD, OF THE NEW AND ETERNAL TESTAMENT, THE MYSTERY OF FAITH, WICH SHALL BE SHED FOR YOU AND FOR MANY UNTO THE REMISSION OF SINS.



As often as ye do these things, ye shall do them in remembrance of Me.

  

The Communion




Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; say but the word and my soul shall be healed. (3 times)



May the Body of our Lord Jesus Christ preserve my soul to life everlasting. Amen.



May the Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ preserve my soul to life everlasting. Amen.

  

An Act of Spiritual Communion




My Jesus, I believe that Thou are present in the Blessed Sacrament.  I love Thee above all things and I desire Thee in my soul.  Since I cannot now receive Thee sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart.  As though Thou wert already there, I embrace Thee and unite myself wholly to Thee; permit not that I should ever be separated from Thee. Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts