One Way to Start the Day on the Right Foot

We've often discussed the importance of a morning routine before work that includes at least some prayer and meditation, if not also reading and study, before we head for work. Such efforts can be collectively called norms of piety, or, simply pious practices. We don't have to be a living saint to engage with such practices. In fact, they're pretty much essential if we're to have any aspirations of growing closer to God in the course of our lives.

Ideally, from the moment we wake up, a prayer isn't far away. It may be a simple thought or acknowledgment of God's Presence. Or it could be something more "formal" like the Morning Offering:

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer Thee my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of Thy Sacred Heart: the salvation of souls, the reparation for sin, and the reunion of all Christians. I offer them for the intentions of our bishops and of all Apostles of Prayer, and in particular for those recommended by our Holy Father this month.

I've developed the habit of waking up with this prayer. It helps to get my mind and heart straight right from the get-go. Maybe you'd find it a good way to wake up.

Just remember, there's no one way here. We're all different. There's no one perfect prayer or perfect morning routine that suits everyone's personality, temperament, etc.

Recently, I came across this prayer, one attributed to St. Francis Xavier. It came with a recommendation to say it in the morning. You'll see why
 
“I adore You, God the Father, who created me, I adore You, God the Son, who redeemed me, I adore You, God the Holy Ghost who have sanctified me, and continue to carry on the work of my sanctification. I consecrate this day entirely to Your love and to Your greater glory. I know not what this day will bring me either pleasant or troublesome, whether I shall be happy or sorrowful, shall enjoy consolation or undergo pain and grief, it shall be as You please; I give myself into Your hands and submit myself to whatever You will.”

How rich is that! Read it again and you'll see what I mean. St. Francis covers so much here. Right off the top, notice how he distinguishes between Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Yes, I realize the Holy Trinity is a great mystery, perhaps the greatest mystery of all. Three Persons in One God: How does that work? St. Francis doesn't answer that question here. But do you see how natural his words flow? He knows that God is One. Yet he can express these distinctions between Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Maybe "distinctions" isn't an accurate adjective here. After all, again, God is One. But whatever the correct descriptor, St. Francis helps us see each Person clearly. He does this by considering what each has done for each of us. Stunning.

At work, we may be called on to describe something relevant to our business: a product, a service, how our company is organized, what role we play, how we can help our client or customer. If you've considered or been called on to provide a description of any of these, you may, like me, have had to spend time crafting an answer that's concise and clear. Long explanations easily tax a listener or reader's attention (especially these days!). They can even be off-putting.

Maybe you've come across the concept of the "elevator pitch." It's supposed to be brief, clear message about you: who you are, what you're looking for, how you can benefit a customer, client, company or organization. It's always been one of my short-comings: I don't have one. I've tried crafting one from time to time. For whatever reason, I've never succeeded at coming up with anything worthwhile.

In any case, given the challenges we face in communicating clear, distinct, explanations that are also brief, most of us should be able to appreciate what St. Francis has done here - with the Holy Trinity no less!

Next time we'll continue to parse through this wonderful prayer of St. Francis. For now, though, maybe we should switch out of "analysis mode" and simply, sincerely pray the words of this great saint as we begin our day.




Comments

Popular Posts