2020: Another Year of Work

Among other things, 2020 will be another year of work. Thus it begins on this 2nd day of January.

Our first post for 2019 was titled: "A New Year Like No Other." And so it was. By the grace of God, despite what happened to our son, I was able to fulfill the duties of my state of life, which included all my work obligations, fully and diligently.

But now it's 2020. Let's launch this year's offerings with a focus on Scripture. We've often commented on the importance of daily reading of Sacred Scripture as part of our everyday spiritual discipline. And, from time to time, we've noted specific passages that could help us perform our daily work more consistently with our Catholic Faith.

The fact is, if we open our minds and hearts to daily reading of Sacred Scripture - really pay attention and meditate on what we're reading - we'll find an endless treasure trove of both spiritual enlightenment and practical guidance that will make our work more perfect in God's eyes. With that in mind, let's consider a recent reading of Psalm 14.

"...who shall dwell in thy tabernacle? or who shall rest in thy holy hill?"

Let's pause here a moment and ask ourselves: Do we want to dwell with the Lord this day. Is this our uppermost desire, even as we head off to work?

Work always presents challenges to me in this regard. I want to keep Jesus close to me. I want to pause throughout my busy work day and acknowledge God's Presence, I want to keep my mind and heart open to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. But so often the day flies by and I look back and...nothing. I was so consumed with work - particularly on days where I've got a tight schedule with urgent deadlines - that I hardly acknowledged God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - at all. The best I can think on such days: Well, at least I wanted, I stated my intention, to work for His greater glory; at least I asked the patron saints of my work to pray that I received the grace to do so. It's better than nothing!

But maybe this day, things will turn out better. Maybe these words of Psalm 14 will help to galvanize my mind and heart such that I will indeed be more assiduous in yearning to grow closer to Jesus even as I diligently attend to my work.

Notice how Psalam 14 provides us with specific advice about how we can do this:

"He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice: He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours. In his sight the malignant is brought to nothing: but he glorifieth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his neighbour, and deceiveth not; he that hath not put out his money to usury, nor taken bribes against the innocent: He that doth these things shall not be moved for ever."

Give your full attention to this passage, in every detail and you'll realize: None of this is beyond any of us. We can walk without blemish, we can be just in all our dealings. We can - and will - speak the truth, even within our hearts, and never lie. We can not only not do evil to our neighbor, but we can be charitable at all times. (That one might be a bit challenging, but it's doable.)

As for being he that "sweareth to his neighbor," at work I think we can apply this thusly: Be true to your word. If we make a commitment, keep it and do so in a timely manner.

Work for your pay. Never seek money that is not legitimately owed to you. Never use your money for any illicit purpose. (The Psalm was written at a time when usury was considered evil. We might mistake this for charging interest on lending money, or even earning interest on money, but I don't think that's what's meant here.)

Never allow anyone, for any reason, to turn you against an innocent person. If someone says something against or about anyone, unless you have direct knowledge or evidence of wrongdoing, ignore it. Gossip and - worse - detraction are two of the worst offenses against charity, and they're all too common in the workplace.

Finally, consider the reward for being righteous in all these matters today and every day: We shall not be moved for ever. We shall remain with the Lord. His mercy and His grace shall be ours. Such is the reward that awaits us.

I'll take it!

Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular Posts