One Way Meditation Helps with Anxiety and Stress at Work

Last time we focused on prayer as an antidote to anxiety and stress at work. Let's move on to meditation and good spiritual reading now. Today we'll concentrate on meditation; next time on spiritual reading.

Meditation's always been tough for me. At first, it was the idea of just stopping at some point during the day to mediate. I just couldn't make time and, if I did, I couldn't concentrate very well. At least that's how it seemed to me - for quite a few years. But lately I've tried a simple meditation that seems to match my make-up reasonably well.

What precipitated my trying this was Pentecost. I had done a lot of reading (and posting on this blog)  about this great feast. For some reason, this year, my lack of consistent awareness and devotion to the Holy Spirit really hit home. So when my spiritual reading came across this suggestion, I latched on right away. It came from Fr. Frederick T. Hoeger, C.S.Sp.

“During one of his retreat conferences Cardinal Mercier offered to his hearers the following secret of sanctity: Every day, for five minutes, restrain your imagination and close your eyes to all earthly impressions so as to be able to withdraw into the sanctuary of your baptized soul, the temple of the Holy Ghost, then address the Holy Spirit in these terms: 


O Holy Spirit! Soul of my soul, I adore Thee.
Enlighten, guide, strengthen and console me.
Tell me what I ought to do.
Command me to do it.
I promise to accept whatever Thou permittest to befall me.
Only show me what is Thy will!

“If you do this, your life will pass in contentment and peace. You will have abundant consolation even amidst troubles, for you will receive grace in proportion to your trials and strength in proportion to your burdens, until the day when you will reach the gates of Heaven weighted with precious merits. This submission to the Holy Spirit is the secret of sanctity.”


Notice I highlighted your life will pass in contentment and peace. It seemed like a pretty good antidote to anxiety and stress. And five minutes really isn't asking much. As for when I work in the five minutes, the solution has been ridiculously easy. Since I already spend the first part of the morning with prayer, study, spiritual reading, etc., I inserted the five minutes right at the get-go. (BTW, I tried it at different times during my morning routine, but couldn't get it to stick until I just dove in right away. That's just my temperament, I suppose.)

I don't always say the prayer word for word, but that's OK. I've learned in the course of studying my religion and from different spiritual works that formal words aren't a be all and end all. If they work, great. If you forget them, or if you simply prefer using your own words, then go with those. But I do try to close my eyes and restrain my imagination. Results have been spotty, since my imagination's usually on overdrive. But I've also learned over time that being distracted while praying, or during Mass, or when trying to meditate, is pretty normal for most of us.

Notice, by the way, that I typically don't - actually typically can't - make time for meditation at work. So how does this apply to anxiety and stress at work? It's a matter of setting the tone for the day - and that includes the day's work.

Again, I'm not rid of all vestiges of anxiety and stress at work because I meditate for five minutes in the morning. But I must say it has had a salubrious effect, one that has at least tempered the degree and intensity that my nerves can sometimes unleash on me from time to time.

Oh, and it really does help to make the presence of the Holy Spirit more real over time. Remember the Holy Spirit dwells within our souls - if we're in a state of grace. So it's important that we not only recall this awesome fact, but allow it shape all our thoughts, words, and actions. Makes sense, doesn't it?

So what about that spiritual work we mentioned last time? It's Abandonment to Divine Providence and we'll get to it next time...



Comments

Popular Posts