Dealing with Stress and Preoccupation at Work

Before we leave the subject of stress at work, I wanted to leave you with a couple of passages from my spiritual reading that have helped me recently.

One of the symptoms of stress is preoccupation. An example would be being preoccupied with how to support your family. Now, you can be preoccupied with supporting your family without experiencing stress. But my experience has been that whenever I've had to focus on supporting my family, it's typically because I'm stressed over it.

While it's been a while since supporting my family has been a stressful preoccupation, I do remember it well. I know others experiencing it right now. And in my professional work, I sometimes work with people in a state of anxiety about how they'll be able to make ends meet. So even when it's not a personal concern, I'm surrounded by it.

In my professional capacity, it's hardly possible, sometimes it's even inappropriate, to drag out my spiritual reading and share it with clients. But here it's OK. So let's take a look at this passage from Fr. Joseph Schryvers (emphasis mine):

“When preoccupation assails you, in spite of yourself, repeat calmly an act of love and confidence, disavow these thoughts and fears, and if you pass the whole time of a meditation saying, ‘Jesus! I do not want to be anxious; I am yours,’ you will have made an excellent prayer, even though your mind remains still possessed by these phantoms. During such trying moments, you should also recall the words of Our Lord: ‘Be not solicitous therefore, saying: “What shall we eat, or what shall we drink, or wherewith shall we be clothed?” For after these things do the heathens seek. For your Father knoweth that you have need of these things. Seek ye therefore first, the Kingdom of God and His Justice, and all these things shall be added unto you.’ (Mt. 6:31)
 

“If our Lord said these words, it was not for nothing; and if they do not apply to you, for whom then are they meant? – Therefore, take them and apply them to yourself literally; cast from you all vain preoccupations and do your duties in all simplicity; if miracles are necessary to free you from the difficulties which may arise, Jesus will work them. Recall, for your profit, the words of Blessed Joseph Cottolengo, when he saw himself in want of food for his orphans: ‘We shall see which of us two will lose the cause: Providence or Cottolengo. Up to this, Providence has always been the victor!’ What rest you will secure for your soul, and what freedom for your mind, if you progress so far as to eliminate all anxiety and throw all your cares on God, without calculation and without hesitation! If you do your duty, Jesus will do His.” (Fr. Joseph Schryvers, C.SS.R.)


I'm pretty sure I've mentioned in the past that I've got the passage from St. Matthew posted in my office. On a good day, I remember to read it prayerfully. It's always helpful. Even when I'm not anxious about these matters, it helps me not to focus unduly on material gain as I work through the day. Knowing that God has my back helps me to put my full time and energy into helping others - the essence of what I do for a living.

By the way, what do you think of that simple direct "Jesus! I do not want to be anxious; I am yours"? It's short, direct, sweet, simple. I like it!

So let's all take Fr. Schryvers advice to heart: "...eliminate all anxiety and throw all your cares on God, without calculation and without hesitation! If you do your duty, Jesus will do His."



Comments

Popular Posts