Doing What the Bible Says at Work

Spend those 15 minutes each day reading Holy Scripture and you'll find that the Bible has a lot of simple and practical tips we can apply to our work. I'm reading Ecclesiasticus (aka Sirach) these days. Here are some tips from Chapter 11 that I'm bringing to work today:

The wisdom of the humble shall exalt his head, and shall make him sit in the midst of great men.

I run a small business in a big industry. When I started, I didn't know exactly how, or to what degree, I could offer a service at least as good as, ideally better than, that offered by my multi-million and billion dollar competition. Over time, I found the virtue of humility most helpful. Humility calls on us to be, among other things, honest with ourselves. Based on an honest evaluation of my strengths and weaknesses (and those of my company), I found a way to compete and at times far exceed what's offered by the industry giants. Today at work I'll continue the reading and research that will help me build another far superior aspect of my service, vs. my competition - in all humility.

Praise not a man for his beauty, neither despise a man for his look.

I'm off to my Manhattan office today. The sheer numbers of New York City's diverse population have helped me understand this tip. Despite the preponderance of sharpies and show-offs, you learn to judge people by their actual demonstrable skills and good will, not their looks. Some of the best-looking are empty shells. Some of the worst - or weirdest - can be the sharpest. If I need to engage with anyone on a face-to-face basis today, I'll keep my radar scanning to avoid the former, and engage with the latter.

The bee is small among flying things, but her fruit hath the chiefest sweetness.

Be(e)ing a small businessman, this one hits my sweet spot (sorry, couldn't resist). See my previous remarks about competing against the big boys. I like the bee image. You can buzz around those lumbering hippos knowing they won't take any notice. I'll collect all the pollen I need to make some killer honey while they dithering at unnecessary, unproductive meetings.

Glory not in apparel at any time, and be not exalted in the day of thy honour; for the works of the Highest only are wonderful, and his works are glorious, and secret, and hidden.

Just as I won't judge others by their looks (see above), neither am I dressing for success to impress anyone today. Besides, it's hot out there and the heat and humidity of the big city's not kind to fancy dressers.

Before thou inquire, blame no man: and when thou hast inquired, reprove justly.

I booked some offsite office today and - wouldn't you know it - when I arrived at the appointed hour, they couldn't find a record of the booking. In the past, I likely would have been beyond annoyed. (You know, seething, sarcastic, angry...whatever.) This time around, I calmly asked the receptionist to contact the booking source. I was indeed booked. Upon inquiring what happened, turns out the booking was in fact "in the system," but the receptionist couldn't find it. As for reproving anyone, the receptionist would have been the target, but, frankly, what would be the point? An apology sufficed.

Before thou hear, answer not a word: and interrupt not others in the midst of their discourse.

This is simply good common-sense advice that works for any business situation. It's also good practice on a purely social level. One of these days, I'll learn to apply this to all my interactions with my wife, who, at times, justifiably announces: "You're not listening to me!"

My son, meddle not with many matters...

Owning a small business, you do, in fact, wind up meddling with many matters - frequently too many. With practice, though, you learn to limit your meddling. (If you don't, you'll likely go crazy.) If you learn how to delegate and do so to competent people and organizations, you cut down on meddling even more - as long as you let your delegee do what they've been delegated to do. (Did I get that right?)

Good things and evil, life and death, poverty and riches, are from God. Wisdom and discipline, and the knowledge of the law are with God. Love and the ways of good things are with him.

For me, this takes reminding a lot of the time. But, let's face it, everything's in God's hands. So, with that reminder to self in hand, let's see if it sticks. If it does, the day will be so much more peaceful and, as a result, productive.

If that all works out as it should, the cherry on top will be then giving all the glory to God - not me.

In the day of good things be not unmindful of evils; and in the day of evils be not unmindful of good things.

I'm never 100% sure how the day will go. Some days are good, some bad, most a little of both. I never - and won't today - get swept off my feet by success or knocked for a loop by problems or failure. If things go well, fine - but no need to celebrate. If not, fine - no need to weep. Life always brings us its share of ups and downs.

Now, with all those tips in my back pocket, I can't wait to see how the rest of the day goes.



Comments

Popular Posts