What's Special About the Easter Season at Work

With the solemnity of Easter Week now past, we settle into the "regular" part of our glorious Easter Season at work. Since it's a special time of year, we need to take time during our busy days to acknowledge what surrounds us now: the joy of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

(We've discussed this Easter joy the last two Sunday posts.)

During Lent, we worked in a more penitential spirit than we might now during the Easter Season. That spirit helped forge a closer relationship to the One Who sacrificed all for us: Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The discipline of our penitential practices likely helped us to develop greater self-control over our passions and sinful inclinations. While that's good, even better would be a closer relationship to Jesus.

We may not necessarily perceive or feel a closer relationship. But that's not important. The fact is, we've likely advanced at least somewhat in developing a deeper personal relationship to Christ. That's just the way spiritual progress works for most of us - slowly, over time. Now, it's important to hold fast to this enhanced intimacy with Him.

How do we assure this, especially at work?

One way to do so would be not to totally abandon our practice of mortification, our occasions to recollect ourselves and pray during the work day, our determination to behave charitably at all times toward our colleagues and customers. To do so means we're back-sliding. Is that really what we want to do?

Another way to be sure we do is to clear out space for our spiritual lives.

We do this by beginning our day the right way. Some suggestions: Pray the Morning Offering upon awakening. Take time to recollect yourself in prayer and a brief meditation that opens your heart and mind to God as you wake up. Reading Scripture and good spiritual reading - something we should do each day - works especially well in the morning.

When we leave for work, don't just leave God behind. If you commute, you likely have at least some few minutes to either pray or simply "be" in God's Presence. I work from home a lot, but I make the effort, when possible, to attend Mass before the work day begins, and to pray to the patron saints of my business for their intercession. I ask them to ask God for the grace to work for His greater glory, the welfare of my family, the benefit of my clients, and the common good.

Note that none of this requires any special knowledge or skills, nor does it take a lot of time.

When I actually get down to the day's work, on a good day I remind myself I'm in God's Presence. I try to remember that He's there for me and is all ears if I need any help throughout the day. When problems arise, my first tendency might be to "handle" them myself. But on a good day, I remember that I've got a whole support network ready, willing, and able to help: my guardian angel, the patron saints of my business (St. Ignatius Loyola and St. Joan of Arc), St. Joseph, Our Lady, and, of course, Our Blessed Lord, Our Father in Heaven, and their Holy Spirit. I've even added a number of other saints to my "Go To" list over the years.

Funny, but just writing this now, I'm astounded by the breadth and depth of angels and saints who surround us - all of us. We may not always "feel" their presence, but they're here. A moment or two of recollection brings us into contact with them. We don't need to email or text them, set up an appointment, prepare for a meeting with them. All it takes is a brief acknowledgement. Again, we don't need special training or skills to do this. All that's needed is a simple act of the will.

Now, I don't know about you, but I think this is pretty good cause for joy.

Wishing you a joyful Easter Season.

Happy Easter!


Comments

Popular Posts