The Rule of St. Benedict at Work - Back to the Beginning - 3

We're continuing with our discussion of the Prologue from the Rule of St. Benedict, applying its lessons to our work. The ground work for making our work good work was laid last week. We also covered our relationships with others: boss, co-worker, employees (if you manage or own a business), etc. Observing St. Benedict's teaching results in a firm foundation for all our endeavors.

The importance of that firm foundation can't be exaggerated. So many of us get caught up in our daily work, with its demands and deadlines. That's only natural, of course. Depending on your job, there may be little time during the typical work day to step back and calmly assess whether all you're doing is being done for the greater glory of God, the welfare of your family, the benefit of your customers/clients. Depending on work flow and the pressures that a busy job brings with it, you may not always be conscious of your behavior towards others with whom you come in contact. Once the day ends, maybe you take a few minutes to assess how things went from a practical point of view. If you're really on your "Catholic game," Maybe you even view your day's activities from a spiritual perspective.

If you see this as mostly reactive, join the club. Frankly, even with my regular reading of Rule over the years, along with my attempts to spend time each morning on matters spiritual, I still find myself reacting to the day's happenings. On the other hand, I must say that with continual study and practice, it is possible to stay ahead of the curve here. More often than in the past, I can tackle the day's assignments with at least some sense of assurance that my soul comes alive in my work. It goes like this:

I might begin the day with the prayerful intention of working for God's greater glory. If given the time (a function of taking the few minutes necessary to properly recollect myself), I'll add in the intention of working for the welfare of my family, the benefit of my clients, and the common good. On good days, I'll ask the patron saints of my business for their intercession, that God grant me the grace of a recollected work day - one where I might occasionally remember His Divine Presence, utter a few aspirations, maybe get to daily Mass, at some point either before or during the work day, etc.

Those actions, and others like them, set that firm foundation we need to make the work day not only productive, but holy as well.

St. Benedict describes what a firm foundation provides to us Catholic men at work:

"Wherefore the Lord also saith in the Gospel: 'He that heareth these my words and doth them, shall be likened to a wise man that built his house upon a rock. The floods came and the winds blew, and they that beat upon that house, and it fell not, for it was founded upon a rock.'"(2 Corinthians 10:17) 

Of course, that foundation needs ongoing attention. As you might suspect, our present spiritual life is never "done."As long as we remain a part of this world, it takes work to keep things in working order.

"Having given to us these instructions, the Lord daily expects us to make our life correspond with his holy admonitions."

We pray that in His mercy, God will grant us the time we need to both build our firm foundation and keep it in good working order.

"And the days of our life are lengthened and a respite allowed us for this very reason, that we may amend our evil ways. For the Apostle saith: 'Knowest though not that the patience of God inviteth thee to repentance?' (Romans 2:4) For the merciful Lord saith: 'I will not the death of the sinner, but that he should be converted and live.'" (Ezechiel 33:11)


Comments

Popular Posts