Bringing the Holy Souls to Work With Us This Week

It's the week after Thanksgiving. Next week Advent begins; after that, of course, Christmas.

At work, it's that time of year when things that have been on the back-burner can become year-end fire drills. If you've got some of those, brace yourself. Over the years, I've learned that people's time and attention shortens from now through the end of the year, so deadlines may need to be adjusted accordingly. A simple rule: If you want something done by year-end, December 15th is a much more realistic "drop dead" date, rather than December 31st.

So with that in mind, it's off to the salt mines to tackle those "To Dos" before Christmas suddenly appears and we wonder that happened to December.

More importantly though, in the greater scheme of things, let's not forget that we're in the last days of the month of November - the month dedicated to the Holy Souls in Purgatory. With that in mind, this week's posts will derive from the Litany for the Poor Souls in Purgatory. We offer them to help us all - at least from time to time - turn our minds to our suffering friends who so need our thoughts and prayers. If you don't know this Litany, I think you'll find its detail and thoroughness quite stunning. Consider, if you will, the individuals you've known in your life who might be described here. Then offer up your prayers and sacrifices, as well as any difficulties you might encounter in your work today.

The Litany begins with a simple prayer:

O Jesus, Thou suffered and died that all mankind might be saved and brought to eternal happiness. Hear our pleas for further mercy on the souls of:

(After each, we say "My Jesus Mercy!".)

My dear parents and grandparents,
My brothers and sisters and other near relatives,
My godparents and sponsors of Confirmation,
My spiritual and temporal benefactors,
My friends and neighbors,

Those are, in a sense, the "obvious" petitions. I was especially taken, though, by the petition for my godparents and Confirmation sponsor. I do pray for them, but not as such. In the past, our special relationship with these folks was more forcibly taught, so your relationship with them was in a sense more "real." I'm grateful to have been reminded of this.

The Litany now expands the universe of those for whom we can pray. Don't rush through these. Give each a moment's reflection. By the way, notice how the first three of these are "personal":

All for whom love or duty bids me pray,
Those who have suffered disadvantage or harm through me,
Those who have offended me,

I think we can all identify one or, likely, more individuals who fit the bill here. Maybe you can spend a few extra moments thinking about these first three. The second two are especially challenging - at least they were for me. They require being strictly and thoroughly honest with oneself. And here that may not be especially pleasant or easy. Maybe it's just me, but, sadly, quite a few names emerged. It made me think of how, someday perhaps, I may be need the prayers of others, if I'm to spend time in Purgatory. So if you have any reluctance to subject yourself to the "heat" of this sort of reflection, just man up and do it. The same people whose names emerge may be in a position to pray for you some day.

Well, it looks like work beckons and so we'll have to continue the Litany for the Poor Souls in Purgatory next time. Meanwhile, consider taking a moment or two today to remember these. You might pray discretely; again, you can also offer up any and all difficulties you face during this work day for the Poor Souls.

Next time we'll continue and complete this beautiful Litany for the Poor Souls in Purgatory.




Comments

Popular Posts