A Sunday Thought to Start the Week Off Right

We recently completed two mini-series these past Sundays: one focused on the efficacy of the Sacrament of Confession followed by a kind of offshoot about Perfect Contrition. We began posting these around the time of the revelations regarding Cardinal Theodore McCarrick along with the public airing of the investigation conducted by the Pennsylvania Attorney General into sexual abuse by Catholic clergy over many decades.

These credible reports caught some by surprise. But even those who had suspicions that something wasn't right with some of our priests and bishops have responded various degrees of anger and despair. All of this combined with what's been emanating from the Vatican lately has resulted in what many describe as a "crisis" in our Catholic Church. Rather than weigh in as all this unfolded, we simply persisted with our mini-series.

First of all, who needed more commentary or venting or ranting about this awful situation? But more importantly, we thought a freshening up of the desire and habit of seeking forgiveness for sin would provide greater benefit than adding fuel to what for some has become an all-consuming fire. After all, bad as the actions and, of course, sins, of the clergy, I'm more concerned about my own sins rather than theirs.I hope you agree.

And, just so you know, it's not that I'm unfazed or somehow immune from what's been going on. In fact, I've personally witnessed this sort of behavior on the part of priests and bishops going back many years. Perhaps this long-term exposure to the perversions and depravities now coming to light has, by the grace of God, insulated me somewhat from the despondency, even despair, with which some Catholics are now trying to cope.

If you're in that coping camp I think this prayer by an unknown author might provide some perspective and consolation. Even if you've not been thrown out of whack, you may find this prayer a little jewel, as did I. 

“Teach me, my Lord, to be kind and gentle in all the events of life: in disappointments, in the thoughtlessness of others, in the insincerity of those I trusted, in the unfaithfulness of those on whom I relied. Let me put myself aside: to think of the happiness of others, to hide my little pains and heartaches so that I may be the only one to suffer from them. Teach me to profit by the suffering that comes across my path. Let me so use it that it may mellow me, not harden nor embitter me; that it may make me broad in my forgiveness, not narrow, haughty, or overbearing. May no one be less good for having come within my influence; no one less pure, less true, less kind, less noble, for having been a fellow-traveler in our journey towards Eternal Life. As I go my rounds from one distraction to another, let me whisper from time to time a word of love to Thee. May my life be lived in the supernatural, full of power for good, and strong in its purpose of sanctity.” -Author Unknown

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular Posts