A Sunday Thought to Start the Week Off Right

Today we conclude our mini-series on perfect contrition. Again, we turn to The Golden Key to Paradise by Rev. J. Von Den Driesch for inspiration and guidance. Let's wrap things up by considering the nuts and bolts of the practice of perfect contrition. We've already seen the wondrous rewards of an act of perfect contrition. Now we'll see that there's nothing difficult or complicated in incorporating the daily habit of making acts of perfect contrition.

I may sincerely and earnestly request you to do God and your own soul a favor by devoutly making an act of contrition every night in your night prayers. As there is no perfect morning prayer without a good intention, so there is no perfect night prayer without the examination of conscience and an act of contrition.

In case you're thinking that you're "too busy" or maybe even too tired to consistently perform this simple act, think again:

...it may be done in a few minutes. Listen: you say your night prayers every night, I suppose. Think then for a few seconds of the faults and sins of the past day, and before the crucifix, slowly and attentively make an act of contrition. Then you may rest in peace. By saying your night prayers, you say, as it were to God, ‘Good night, Father,’ and by mercifully forgiving you your sins God answers, ‘Good night, child.’ What do you now think? Do this in future, and you will not regret it in eternity.

In special cases, you may not want to wait for your night prayers:

If at any time you should have the misfortune of committing mortal sin, do not remain in that wretched state, but immediately rise from it by making an act of perfect contrition. Arise in that same hour, or at least when you say your night prayers, and do not delay your confession too long.

The key here is to develop this habit. Make it second nature. In this way, you'll be prepared in case you should face sudden death. It happens. Don't be one of those who foolishly believes it won't or can't happen to you.

Should sudden death overtake you, which I sincerely hope will not be the case, you now know where the “Golden Key of Heaven” is to be found. Quickly raise our heart to God in heartfelt, perfect contrition. By the good and frequent use of it during life, you will have time, grace, and will to make your act of perfect contrition, and perfect contrition will save you. If, however, you are prepared for the journey before death overtakes you, then let your last conscious act here on earth be one of heartfelt love towards God your Creator, your Savior and Benefactor; let it be an act of perfect contrition for the sins of your whole life. Then you may cast yourself into the arms of a forgiving God, and may God be to you a merciful Judge!

And for those of us who may not know an Act of Contrition, or perhaps haven't - for whatever reason - prayed this beautiful prayer in a long time, we conclude with some simple aspirations as well as the version of the Act of Contrition with which most of us are familiar:

“O my God, I love Thee above all things!” “My God and my All!” “God be merciful to me a sinner!”
“O my God, I am sorry that I have sinned against Thee, for Thou art so good; I will never sin again; forgive me, and grant me Thy mercy and grace.” “O Jesus, I love you, have mercy on me!”

“O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they have offended Thee, my God, Who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, to amend my life. Amen.”


I sincerely hope you've learned a thing or two from our mini-series on perfect contrition. You might consider reading Rev. Von Den Driesch's pamphlet it full. Versions of it are readily available online. And now that you know something about perfect contrition, why not make it an integral part of your life?
 
Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular Posts