When The First Inklings of Christmas Creep Into Our Back-to-Work-after-Labor Day Grind

Last time we talked about "The Straight Shot to Christmas." It begins the day after Labor Day. Having read that post (yes, I eat my own cooking!), I've still got that first inkling of Christmas rolling around in my gut this morning, even as I get down to the daily grind at work. So, "trusting my gut," let's see where those Christmas thoughts take us today.

Now you may find this a bit daft, but the first thing that pops into my mind is the fact that my work today work is a gift. Yes, just like this...



That's for you. Maybe you'll view your work this way too. I know, work certainly can be that daily grind most of the time. But it's a gift as well, isn't it? Whatever sort of work you do, you get paid (at least I hope you do!). And what you're paid in exchange for your labor serves as the means to provide a modest security and sufficiency for you and (if you have one) your family.

Why "modest security and sufficiency"? Well, we've mentioned this in the past. It's our simple way of capturing what each of us can and should provide for ourselves and our families. It's a kind of baseline. Sure, you may be ambitious and want to be CEO of your company, or start up the next Apple or Google, or just be plain old rich. Okay, we're not here to rain on your parade. But for the rest of us workers, just know that a modest security and sufficiency, if you think about it, will do the trick. Basically you get the food, clothing, and shelter you need and a few of the "extras" you desire, whatever they might be: a clean apartment or house in a safe neighborhood, some time off for recreation, to enjoy your family and friends, maybe even pursue an avocation (writing, music, amateur athletics, painting, carpentry, etc.). Oh, and let's not forget to share some of our substance with those in need.

If your work provides the means for this, isn't that a gift?

The second thing that pops into my mind, in keeping with the "Christmas spirit" of this post, is joy. Now, in fairness, I've had jobs that brought me little to no joy. But that's not been the case my whole life; and, by the grace of God, it's not the case now. Sure, my work can be relentless, tedious, and frustrating. Sometimes it's like a bottomless pit of "things to do." Yes, discouraging disappointments and the occasional body-blow of failure can take the wind out of my sails on occasion. But then there are those moments of pure joy when everything falls into place. Recently two (not one, but two!) clients told me how grateful they were for the work I had done for them. They pay me for the work, and still they expressed sincere, heartfelt gratitude! Moments like that bring pure joy.

And finally, third, but not least, would be the joy of knowing that a job well done gives glory to God. If I start each day with this intention - that al I do will be for the greater glory of God - work isn't "just work." Every thought, word, and action I take gives glory to my Father in Heaven. It serves to spread the Good News of His Son, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It's informed and inspired by the workings of the Holy Spirit, Whom my Faith teaches me dwells inside me, body and soul. Can there be any greater gift than this?

Well, the spirit of Christmas has surely taken over today, hasn't it? That spirit really is the gift that keeps giving. And today it's given me the ability to see my work as gift in more ways than one. Would that I could start each day this way. On the other hand, why not? Maybe, with God's grace, I can.





Comments

Popular Posts