Back to Work After Vacation

Getting back to work after vacation comes with certain challenges. For me, the first one that pops up is the "Up and at 'em!" that greets me when I awake on the morning of that first day back in the saddle. During vacation I wasn't faced with the usual deadlines, meetings, etc. I could vary what I did on a given morning. Sure, given that I run a small business, I couldn't push work totally off the table; but I did have some leeway as to how much to do and when. Back at the office, though, there's my usual start time, my daily regularly scheduled items, a list of tasks specific to that particular day, and all those unanticipated items that crop up from here, there, and everywhere. Given the circumstance,  those items that on a typical day sprinkle my working hours like a gentle spring shower can look and feel like a wild rushing river those first days after vacation.

So what do we do about all this? On the one hand, nothing. The fact is, when we change our routine, when we ease up a bit, if we change our wake up and get-to-bed times, there's a mental and physical readjustment required. It's just how the mind and body work. You make do. Some days may have to pass before we're back in the groove. Best to just relax and take those first days moment to moment. Be patient with yourself. And, of course, ask for God's grace to handle any challenges that come your way as the Christian gentleman that you are.

With that, though, my recent morning Scripture reading seemed to be urging me to "spiritualize" this return to work experience. It was right there in Chapter 6 of Luke's Gospel, after the pronouncement of the Beatitudes. Our Lord is reminding us that we will be judged by our thoughts and actions. Rather than noticing and judging what others say and do, we need to clean up our own act. Reading this helped to realign my spiritual life and my work. As I direct my time and energy to all those "To Do's" that await my first day back, it's important to remember to "elevate" my daily work. Yes, the business must be managed, money must be made for the welfare of my family, specific requests and needs addressed for the benefit of my clients. Doing all diligently will further contribute to the common good. But it's important that I not forget that work done for the greater glory of God also sanctifies the soul. Earthly rewards can't supplant the eternal rewards that flow from a job well done.

Here are the Gospel verses that helped me to remember all of this:

And why call you me, Lord, Lord; and do not the things which I say? Every one that cometh to me, and heareth my words, and doth them, I will shew you to whom he is like. He is like to a man building a house, who digged deep, and laid the foundation upon a rock. And when a flood came, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and it could not shake it; for it was  founded on a rock. But he that heareth, and doth not, is like to a man building his house upon the earth without a foundation: against which the stream beat vehemently, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great. (Luke 6:46-49)

And so as I return to the daily grind, I'll toil with this in mind. As I apply myself to my work, and accomplish my objectives for this particular day, I'll be building my house. If the typical return-to-work-after-vacation fatigue sets in, I'll just dig deep, knowing that my diligent efforts in the face of any temptation to laziness or sloppiness will help to build and bolster a strong foundation for not only my business, but for my life's work.

Well now, it seems all of this has grounded me, put a spring in my step, elevated my return to work from a grudging "have-to-do" to a "want-to-do." Sure, my enthusiasm will likely flag from time to time over the course of these first days back from vacation. But with my foundation laid upon a rock, all will hold together as I strive to work for His greater glory.

With our spirits energized, next time, we'll dive into some practical suggestions about getting back to work after vacation.

Comments

Popular Posts