Starting Fresh Again at Work - The Importance of Order- Part 2

Following up on our last post, here are some specific items that could help us order our work day. They've been helpful to me over the years; maybe they'll help you too.

A Weekly Model

I post an 8/12 x 11 sheet of my "Weekly Model" next to my "Key Initiatives," along with some special prayers I try to say, if not every day, at least from time to time. The Weekly Model breaks down the week, and then each day, into blocks of time. I use a table format with 5 columns - Monday through Friday. In each column one block represents an hour. Each block concerns an items or items pertaining to one of the major areas of our business that need attention on an ongoing basis: Operations, Finance and Administration, Marketing and Customer Service, etc. Being a professional practice, we need to keep up and expand our knowledge and expertise. So during those blocks of time set aside for this, we make it our business to attend to our reading and research. We also have time blocked out for current projects, as well as for the unexpected and urgent matters that always pop up. A good week finds me beginning the day slotting my work load into these blocks. Exceptions can be made for emergencies or super-urgent and important items that crop up from time to time. Otherwise, if it's time to do research, that's what I do. If it's time to answer emails, I switch to that. A block may contain more than one item, or one item may take up more than one block.

I've tried shorter blocks of time, but things just look too busy when I do that. So, over time, and with some experimentation, the 1 hour blocks provide a relatively easy "read" with enough space to include everything we need. Since the blocks are generic in nature, we don't need to create this model each week. We've had our current Weekly Model for over a year now. Every once in a while, when a change will improve things, we change it - but that's rare.

A Timer

I've discovered that I get a lot more done when I concentrate fully on the task at hand. And over time, I've found that, after a certain amount of time, my concentration begins to waver. So for much of the day, I set a timer that sits on my desk for that maximum chunk of time. When the timer goes off, I take a break, even if it's only to stand up and stretch. It's good for mind and body, reduces fatigue and fuzzy thinking. How did I come up with the ideal time? I just experimented and found that "sweet spot" that allows me to put in maximum effort and get maximum results before distraction or fatigue gets the better of me. For you it could be 2 hours or it could be 20 minutes. You just have to try different times to see what's best.

Weekly Task Report

As much as possible, we use a calendar function in our company data base to assign various tasks to specific days. When the week begins, we print out a report that lists all the items. So on Monday morning, I get a good sense of whether the week will likely be super-busy or just busy. To the extent that I faithfully enter tasks into this system, I'm much less likely to face "crunch time" to meet important deadlines. One of the most helpful functions of our system is the "periodic" function. We have certain operational and administrative tasks that repeat - some on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annual basis. It's a great feature.

Business Review

This occurs once a week - no more, no less. We have a check list of items including book-keeping, checking our bank statements and business credit card, reviewing our weekly task report. We also perform data backups (we have redundancy here - cloud and hard drive), cleaning out clutter in the office, etc. This is critical for running my business. Even if you don't run a small business, as I do, you should have a similar process for whatever you do.

The result of all this: I'm rarely "jerked around" by the typical changes and moving targets that pop up during my work days. I know what must be done and when. When things pop up, I work them, if possible, into the weekly time slots I've set aside for unplanned but necessary activity.

The best part of all this: I can keep my business "contained" (for the most part!) which allows me "free" time. Having order and staying on top of things means my business is less likely to spill over into that free time. I know that I've got a process and systems in place to make sure I don't forget things, one that helps me meet my deadlines.

And the REALLY best part of this: I get to block out time for my spiritual life and pretty much stick with it. For me the early morning gives me the biggest chunk of time for prayer, reading, study, even a few minutes of meditation. But since my ordered day allows me to let go of what's on my desk or my screen and know that it will get done.with order in my day, I can also take a few minutes, even during the busiest day, to turn my mind and heart to God. Do I do this every day? No. No system works perfectly and I'm certainly not perfect. But on those days when everything does work, it's just so easy to thank God for another day to know, love, and serve Him.

Comments

Popular Posts