Now For the Rest of the Workday

Last time we looked at the beginning of a typical work day. Today we'll look at how the rest of the work day goes, and how we might better intertwine our daily labor with our spiritual lives.

Why "intertwine"? What could that possibly mean? Isn't it enough to simply state our intention to work for the greater glory of God and then get on with the tasks at hand? Yes and no. It's certainly sufficient to have that good intention. After all, God isn't so much interested in results when it comes to our work: how much we accomplish, or how successful we are in our worldly pursuits. He's not giving you more "points" if you're a big shot executive with a corner office, vs. a lowly employee plugging away at your keyboard in your work station. The guy who had the brains and busted his butt to build the construction company that hires you to use your brawn on the work site doesn't get a bigger welcome at the Pearly Gates. If you offer all your daily toil to Our Lord, begging the intercession of Our Lady, and do your best to work diligently to fulfill the duties of your state of life, you're on track.

For me, the work day sometimes begins with Holy Mass, sometimes not. Once in my office, I typically fire up my laptop while reciting some prayers and settle in for the day. Depending on the day, those prayers might include the prayer to St. Joseph the Worker, a Morning Resolve, a petition to the patron saints of my work - St. Ignatius Loyola and St. Joan of Arc. We previously discussed the use of a Model Week/Day, a daily task list, and a timer to assure better focus. More and more I've found these two tools indispensable for keeping me on track. Running a small business means lots of miscellaneous "to dos" having nothing to do with my profession. I organize most of those business tasks into a specific block of time each week so they're not pulling me from my professional tasks. Other distractions include personal matters that can easily distract you from your work, especially when you're based at home. For some, this proves really challenging; for whatever reason, I've never had a problem here. When I'm at work, I'm at work. Period. I can manage my personal life on its own time.

So far, so good. But I'm always striving for more here. More what? More "Presence." I know that God is present always and everywhere, so it seems that some acknowledgement of that throughout the work would be appropriate and desirable right there in the midst of my daily efforts. Of course, to do a good job, I can't constantly be praying or meditating. That would preclude the concentration that much of my work requires. But little pauses or breaks would do the trick. Here I'm sadly lacking, and it's a bit frustrating. What would it take to - every once in a while - recollect myself and say something like, "All for Thee, Jesus," or, "My Jesus, I love You." There are a million such aspirations that we can say, so why is it so hard to do this? The only answer I can come up with is that I'm simply too self-centered to "break away" from my self. My only consolation is that apparently I'm not the only one who finds it a challenge to keep recollected and turn to Him from time to time.

Of course, we Catholics know that this dilemma can find a solution in our devotion to Our Lady. As our Mother, she's always there to guide and counsel us on behalf of her Son. Depending on your particular relationship to Our Blessed Mother - and you really should have such a relationship - you can call on her during the work day to help you stay recollected and offer up your work for His greater glory. My two basic tools here are my rosary and the Angelus. Again depending on the day, I sometimes say my rosary before the work day begins, sometimes during the work day. When it's during the work day, I say a decade or two during those little breaks I take, typically signaled by my timer, that allow me to stay fresh and focused. I also have my "Angelus alarm" set on my iPhone that goes off at 6 AM, noon, and 6 PM, the traditional times for saying the Angelus. If I'm working at any of those times - and I might be on any given day - I try to stay disciplined and immediately pause, ideally stand up - and silently recite the Angelus. (If it's not possible to stand, I just remain seated.)

The thing is, there are just so many tools, so many avenues available, to keep God's Holy Presence in our work. We just have to keep at it. At least that's been my mantra over many years of trying with some modest success. So I just keep at it. Maybe one of these days, I'll be able to end the day in the knowledge that every thought, word, and deed was done for the greater glory of God, in every moment of my day.

Meanwhile, next time we'll dig a little deeper into the reality of God's Presence in us, even in the midst of busiest work time.

Comments

Popular Posts