Starting Fresh Again at Work - 2

We continue where we left off last time: starting fresh again at work.

Remember how we introduced this idea. The long 40 days of Lent and 50 days of the Easter Season have ended. The Liturgical calendar, with which we try to align our daily lives, tells us change is in the air. As we now shift into what our modern Novus Ordo calendar calls "Ordinary Time," we have the opportunity to take a deep breath and refresh our lives, including our daily work.

We've talked about this in a different context in the past by suggesting we hit the "refresh" button from time to time in our work. What we had to say then bears repeating now:

"First we'll remind ourselves that we're we're not just men at work, but Catholic men at work. While it's certainly comfortable to be just like everyone else, that's not what we're about, friends. When Baptism freed us from Original Sin, the point wasn't to relax, and melt into the background. Baptism was just the beginning. It's important that we remember this. And it's important that it's reflected in all we think, say, and do today, especially in our work. Perhaps these words from St. Matthews Gospel will provide some guidance and inspiration here:

You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house.

So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. 


"This is pasted in a prominent place in my office, next to my key business initiatives for the year, and my weekly schedule. It's there to remind me that I'm a Catholic at work this day and every day. As I attend to the business of the day, it reminds me that my light, such as it is, needs to shine before men in my good work and my good works. It reminds me that I work "Ad maiorem Dei Gloriam," for the greater glory of God."

What wasn't explained in that original post was the source of that single page prominently posted in my office. Yes, the words were St. Matthews; but the idea to give these words a prominent place in my office came from one of our sons. He had created a similar page for himself. And while we all have jobs that challenge us from time to time, create stress, or even are downright unpleasant, not may of us have dangerous jobs. This son does. And, in the face of that danger, he thought these words of St. Matthew were important to re-focus his attention on these words, rather than only the dangers his job presents each and every day. It takes the focus off of himself, and what he has to face in his work. He understands that his place in this world - especially in the work place - is to both do his best, and provide a good example to others. Perhaps I'm putting words in his mouth, but that's how I see it. And that's what inspired me to put these words front and center. Frankly, I have enough trouble making sure I'm doing my best, never mind giving a good example to others. So, over time, this reminder has helped me to re-focus my own attention on what's really important about what I do. Thank you son!

Well, that's enough freshening up for today. With a full schedule and some important deadlines sitting out there, it's time to get down to the business of the day. But, by the grace of God and the resolve to start fresh again, my gaze will lift from the pressing details and busyness of the work day to allow this little light of mine to shine wherever God's will directs it.

May the same be true for you.





Comments

Popular Posts