For Those of Us Having to Work Today Despite Our Pain

Lower back pain paid an unwelcome visit recently. One of our adult children who happened to pay a visit expressed some concern when he saw me struggling a bit. While I appreciated his empathy, I could only think of the difficult, even dangerous job he currently has to deal with every day. I knew my pain would eventually ease. His job, though, would still be there. You can imagine how much I appreciated his concern for me. It encouraged me to simple press on with the work of the day despite the pain. Not only that, I was reminded to offer up the struggle, rather than complain or, frankly, spend a lot of time thinking about my unwelcome visitor. This was especially helpful in allowing me to persist in those daily mortifications to which I had committed as part of my Lenten discipline, rather than ease up on myself because of the pain. With the help of my child's empathy and God's grace, the work day turned out to be particularly productive, from both a business and a spiritual perspective.

To help sustain our Lenten discipline at work, particularly those of us facing our day's work with the burden of physical or emotional pain, we continue our journey with Our Lord during Lent, posting the Stations of the Cross, one at a time, using St. Alphonsus Liguori as our guide. (Click HERE for a complete pdf of St. Alphonsus's version of the Stations of the Cross.)

Station 8: Jesus Speaks to the Women

St. Alphonsus writes:

Consider how those women wept with compassion at seeing Jesus in such a pitiable state, streaming with blood, as He walked along. But Jesus said to them: Weep not for Me, but for your children.

My Jesus, laden with sorrows, I weep for the offences I have committed against Thee, because of the pains they have deserved, and still more because of the displeasure they have caused Thee, who hast loved me so much. It is Thy love, more than the fear of hell, which causes me to weep for my sins. My Jesus, I love Thee more than myself; I repent of having offended Thee. Never permit me to offend Thee again. Grant that I may love Thee always; and then do with me what Thou wilt.


Relating this to our work day:

Those of us who've arrived at work today with some physical or emotional pain might recall Our Lord's meeting with those women. While receiving their empathy, He expresses His own concern for them and for their children. He thinks of them, rather than dwelling on His own suffering. Having expressed His care and concern for them, He then continues on His awful journey to Calvary. His example might serve us as we face a day's work despite our pain. If we find it difficult, if not impossible, to press on with the day's labor, we might think of His meeting with the women. Then ask Him for the grace to persist in fulfilling our duties, despite our pain. 

We conclude today's thoughts with the simple, moving exhortation with which St. Alphonsus Liguori approaches each Station of the Cross:

We adore Thee, O Christ, and we bless Thee.
Because by Thy holy Cross, Thou has redeemed the world.





Comments

Popular Posts