Work and Exercise: More About Gadgets

Let's talk a bit more about how gadgets might help us with exercise. Last time, comparing the use of exercise gadgets with the sorts of gadgets some of us rely on at work, we concluded that gadgets can't substitute for engaging your brain and doing your best. In the same way, we can't rely on gadgets to succeed in our physical exercise. We've to to engage our body along with our brain, and do our best.

Keeping that in mind, we recognized that some of us might do better going to the gym (the mother of all gadgets) and using various kinds of equipment. We also considered how some of us prefer working out with others. Today we'll focus on the loners out there - those of us who, for whatever our reasons, prefer solitary workouts. We'll also note some gadgets that can help those of us who prefer exercising on our own. Count me in that class.

Again, not being a professional or formally trained in areas like physical therapy or sports science, I'm basing my comments on my own experience as well as some research I've conducted. So take this with the appropriate grain of salt. However, if you followed recent posts, you know that I was more or less "forced" into my lifelong learning curve in these matters. And so I've learned a thing or two. So continuing in that line, I'll tell you that, having tried different gyms, various gadgets, and working out with others, I eventually joined that hearty race of those who prefer solitary workouts. Here's why:

Gyms, Training Partners, Gadgets

I've worked out in old school gyms that sported little more than free weights and gyms with all sorts of machines. At one point, I was going to the gym after work; during another stretch at lunchtime. But as our family grew, it became hard to justify the cost and the time taken up going to the gym, especially when I was going after work. I'd rather see my wife and kids when the work day was done.

As for training partners, over time, I've had three. Two were friends; one was a guy I met working out in a gym. The friends were running partners. When I first started running, it was during the jogging craze of the 1970s. A friend and I, being pretty much out of shape, started running together. Eventually he dropped out (and remained pretty much out of shape). Desiring further improvement, and having no other interested parties, I just kept going on my own. The other friend and I ran together from time to time just 'cause it was a way to get together. It was kind of fun; but mostly I ran solo. The guy in the gym came about from necessity. At the time I was into serious weight lifting, and when you do that you wind up needing someone to "spot" you for certain lifts. This particular guy and I were doing similar routines, lifting similar size weights, so the fit was a natural one. Eventually I stopped going to the gym and that was that. Oh, there was another gym partner of sorts. This guy was my boss who convinced me to join one of those gyms with all sorts of machines. He lasted maybe a week or two. I continued on my own for a while, until the trial membership ran out. I really didn't care for the machines much, nor the waiting around while someone else was using this or that gizmo. So much for going to the gym.

As for gadgets, I've tried a bunch of those designed mainly for home use. Some were helpful, some less so. Over time, I've also become a kind of "minimalist" with gadgets. However,  I'm open to using something if it really improves what I'm doing. Since most of my workouts today are based on the concept of circuit training, the gadgets I use are those that enhance that sort of training. These include dumbbells and these three items that I've found particularly helpful:

Pull-Up Bar: This thing works on just about any door frame. Pull-ups and chin-ups - tough as they may be for some of us - will get your back, even your arms to some extent, in shape.


Push-Up Bars: You can do push-ups without these. But they increase range of motion which helps get better results faster. They also make push-ups easier on the wrists, if you have wrist issues.



Bands: If you don't own or don't like dumbbells, a good set of these, used properly, will substitute just fine, especially for arm and shoulder exercises. You can also use them in lieu of the pull-up bar and get good results, which, of course, reduces the basic list of items from four (dumbbells, pull-up bar, push-up bars, bands) to two (push-up bars, bands) or even one if you prefer to skip the push-up bars.



Wheel: This little guy, while not an essential in my tool kit, can beat the socks off all those other more elaborate (and more expensive) ab gadgets. One hand on each handle; roll forward and back: It's a simple, direct, and intense work-out for the abs. You can also roll on a side angle to engage the obliques more. I've got a bunch of core/ab routines I'm doing at the moment, so this guy's taking a break, but I'm sure I'll circle back to it at some point.



You can probably get a decent quality version of all these items for between $100 - $200. As gadgets go, these will serve you well without really needing much of anything else.

So no excuses! Get started right away and stick with it. Your body will thank you; it will help you work better; and the discipline of exercise works hand in glove with the discipline required to build a strong spiritual life.






Comments

Popular Posts