A Sunday Thought to Start the Week Off Right

Random Sunday morning thoughts:

Fall arrives this week. How swiftly the months and the seasons pass. And yet so little time for God!

Already, thoughts leap ahead to Monday morning and the week's work that awaits; much to do. But enough of these imaginings. Why not turn my attention to God on this precious Sunday, His day?

Okay, Mass awaits. I'll spend time with Him there. But wait! He's here. He's within me. If He can spend time with me, why won't I spend time with Him - like now? Don't wait for Mass. Oh, and don't walk away from Him when Mass ends either.

He gives us Sunday to rest. Surely we can take a slice of that blessed rest and fill it with Him. Maybe if I simply think of some difficulty or trial - and there are a few lingering out there - maybe that will "force" me to take the time and focus my mind and heart on Our Lord? Hey, whatever works. 

Here's something from a holy priest and spiritual writer to encourage all of us take the time to concentrate our attention even better. We all bear a cross or two at times. Some of us carry these well; some not so well. For me, the heavier they are, the less well I bear them. These words helped me to understand how getting to now God better will help me bear those crosses better. And what better time to get to know God better than Sunday?

   “May our dear Lord help you to bear the cross His love has sent you. Try to keep this one thought before you all through your trial: This is God’s doing. Hence do not indulge in useless regrets about want of care, etc. Even if there was negligence, God permitted it to give you this golden chance of being brave and generous under the cross. What has happened will bring you much grace and even happiness, if you take it in the right way. ‘Let Him act,’ must be your motto. Jesus will bring all things right in the end. The more I get to know God, the more inclined I feel to let Him work out things in His own way and time, and to go on peacefully, not troubling about anything. This cross is a sign of God’s love for you, and the surest way of increasing your love for Him. Though you indeed try to take courageously the crosses God sends you, still there seems to be a want of that complete submission to God’s wishes that He looks for and longs for in every detail of your life. Endeavor still more to give Him the desire of His heart…
    “This morning during Mass I felt strongly that Jesus was pained that you do not trust Him absolutely, that is, trust Him in every detail of your life. You are wanting in that childlike confidence He desires so much from you, the taking lovingly and trustfully from His hands all that He sends you, not even wishing things to have happened otherwise. He wants you to possess your soul in peace in the midst of the many troubles, cares and difficulties of your work, looking upon everything as arranged by Him, and hence something to welcome joyfully. Jesus will not dwell in your soul as He wishes unless you are at peace. This is the first step towards that union which you desire so much – but not so much as He does. Don’t keep Him waiting, my child, but by earnest and constant efforts empty your heart of every care that He may abide with you forever.” (Fr. William Doyle, S.J., 1873-1917)

Special emphasis on these particular words:

The more I get to know God, the more inclined I feel to let Him work out things in His own way and time, and to go on peacefully, not troubling about anything. This cross is a sign of God’s love for you, and the surest way of increasing your love for Him...

 He wants you to possess your soul in peace in the midst of the many troubles, cares and difficulties of your work, looking upon everything as arranged by Him, and hence something to welcome joyfully....

Maybe I can take fill my mind and heart with these words today and carry them with me into this week. Want to join me?

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular Posts