A Sunday Thought to Start the Week Off Right

In recent Sundays we've been thinking about our new President, especially any positive influence he might have in our lives as Catholics striving to practice our Faith under sometimes difficult circumstances in a generally secular, even at times adversarial world. The recent March for Life garnered support from the President and for the first time ever, a Vice President of the United States personally attended and spoke at the March. The cause of life vs. the forces of death progressed at least one small step. Deo Gratias!

Last week we reminded ourselves that whether or not this current administration proves to be a refreshing, even invigorating change from the previous eight years, we Catholics will always have a Heavenly Father 
"...a Father who, while Almighty, carefully and attentively watches over us each one of us. Compare this to even the greatest President, or Pope for that matter. The most they might accomplish would be to provide personal example and corporate leadership such that their organizations, government or Church, better serve their people." 
This week, we remind ourselves that so great was the love of our Father that He sent His only-begotten Son: 
...that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting. (John 3:16)
We look to Jesus Christ, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, who remains not only the perfect example of how we should spend our time on this earth, but also the one source of our salvation. 
For God sent not his Son into the world, to judge the world, but that the world may be saved by him. (John 3:17)
Therefore our motivation to meet the struggles and challenges of life, whether personal, economic, or spiritual comes not from the character or personal appeal - or lack thereof - of presidents or even popes, but from our relationship with Jesus Christ. Again, we turn to the great bishop and spiritual writer Archbishop Alban Goodier to help us turn our attention to Jesus, our Savior, who brings us life everlasting.

An Appeal for Jesus

Jesus Christ
Truly Man, Truly God
I believe, I know
You are here in our midst
Be real to me
Be ever more real to me
Overwhelm me
So that nothing else matters
So that no one else matters
So that my own life does not matter
So that I do not matter to myself.

Jesus Christ
Truly Man. Truly God.
The perfect Man
The perfect Lover of mankind
My perfect lover
I love You
I want to love You
I protest that I love You
‘Thou knowest that I love Thee’
In spite of all the evidence against me.
Let my love eat me up
For it is myself that is in the way
If I would think less of myself
If I would ignore myself
Pity myself less
Admire myself less
Indulge myself less
Then would I love You more
With love all-absorbing
With love self-obliterating
With love consuming.

Jesus Christ
You know what I wish to say
Before it is uttered
You read my soul better than I read it
Make it clean that it may see
Where it is untrue make it true
Selfless that it may love
The rest let it be as You will.

(Archbishop Alban Goodier, S.J.)
As we beg the graces necessary to become more selfless that we may love Jesus more, we continue to pray that our current President and his administration will pursue policies that may defend all that is true, good and beautiful in our world. We close again on this blessed Sunday as we have in recent weeks, with these words of St. Francis de Sales:

“Trust the past to the mercy of God,
the present to His love,
the future to His Providence.”

Happy Sunday to all!

Comments

Popular Posts