Time to Hit the "Refresh" Button...continued

Continuing from our last post, today we hit the "refresh" button again. This time we're going to refresh by looking at the purpose of our work, or why we do what we do. We're not talking here about earning a living, or even working for the greater glory of God as well the common good of our fellow man. As we've seen in our recent posts, all of us Catholics at work share in this purpose.

Today, however, we're concerned with each of us as individuals. Having been created in the image and likeness of God, there's something unique about you and me that makes us stand out in this vast universe. We may not think about this every day as we head off to work, but let's try do that today.

So before burying our heads in that pile of stuff to do that's waiting for us, first try to recall that none of us, no matter who we are or what we do is just another cog in a wheel. Of course, we may feel that way at times; maybe people don't always treat us as someone special. No matter. There's something unique about one of us. And God has some some unique purpose for each of us that we need to attend to.

OK, so you're not a mighty captain of industry, a Wall Street master of the universe, or a Silicon Valley genius creating the next explosive technology that will revolutionize the way we interact with the world and each other. You're one of the millions and billions who get up and go to work each day. No matter. Still, God has a special plan for you.

Understanding that God does have this special plan unique to each of us, know as well that it doesn't matter whether you like what you do, or are particularly good at it. Least of all does it matter whether you've been financially successful. God's plan for you has nothing to do with any of that.

Maybe you're one of those who already understand all this, and who may even have some idea what that plan might be. But if you don't, no matter. That's not important. Really. Many of us have no idea, or maybe only a vague one, of just what God really wants from us. We'd love to know, of course. But that's not always God's way. Just know that a plan and a purpose for you has been lovingly prepared and laid out with great care by your Heavenly Father. And here's the best explanation I could find to assure each of us of both the truth and the importance of that assertion:
God has created me to do Him some definite service: He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission. I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next.. I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons. He has not created me for naught. I shall do good. I shall do His work. I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it, if I do but keep His Commandments. Therefore, I will trust Him. Whatever, wherever I am, I can never be thrown away. If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him; in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him; if I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him. He does nothing in vain. He knows what He is about. He may take away a friend; He may throw me among strangers. He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sink, hide my future from me, still He knows what He is about. - Cardinal John Henry Newman (1801-1890)
Being one of those people who frequently isn't too sure about exactly what God wants from me, I find Cardinal Newman's words especially "refreshing." I can just go about my work today, trusting Him, concerned only with keeping His Commandments and doing my best.

Comments

Popular Posts