A Sunday Thought to Start the Week Off Right

We're just beginning to get that shot of cool, fresh air that fall brings us each year. The warmth and humidity of summer's been a bit more troublesome this year than last, and it may continue to try to hang on. But fall will prevail, eventually.

Continuing last Sunday's thought, today we turn from Psalm 25 to Psalm 26. David's in trouble again. His enemies continue to press in. But we'll see what a strong faith does for you in such circumstances. Especially appropriate for this Sunday, we also note his desire to be with the Lord in His tabernacle. Would that we all had David's desire, his thirst, to be close to God.

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?
Whilst the wicked draw near against me, to eat my flesh.
My enemies that trouble me, have themselves been weakened, and have fallen.
If armies in camp should stand together against me, my heart shall not fear.
If a battle should rise up against me, in this will I be confident.

A quick note on that graphic image, "the wicked draw near against me, to eat my flesh." David's not talking about some vague sense of trouble or anxious feeling. The threat he faces is mortal. And yet he can say "whom shall I fear." Today, if you receive Our Lord, you will eat His flesh - and it's not just an image. Do so with reverence, in a spirit of recollection, remembering that the Host doesn't represent, but really is, Jesus Christ, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. David, without benefit of Our Lord's physical and spiritual Presence, demonstrates a faith and courage born of that faith from which we can learn as we confront any of the troubles or even the worries in our lives.

One thing I have asked of the Lord, this will I seek after;
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.
That I may see the delight of the Lord, and may visit his temple.
For he hath hidden me in his tabernacle;
in the day of evils, he hath protected me in the secret place of his tabernacle.

Notice how more than being saved from his enemies David seeks to be with the Lord in his tabernacle. Today we can be with Him in a special way as we attend Mass and (if properly disposed) receive Him in Holy Communion. And everyday this week we can spend time in prayer and meditation with Him who dwells in the tabernacle of our soul.

He hath exalted me upon a rock:
and now he hath lifted up my head above my enemies.
I have gone round and have offered up in his tabernacle a sacrifice of jubilation:
I will sing, and recite a psalm to the Lord.

Despite facing his mortal enemies, David knows that he has already been exalted, lifted high above them, by the Lord. What faith he has! We look to this example of strong abiding faith when face our own fears. 

Hear, O Lord, my voice, with which I have cried to thee:
have mercy on me and hear me.
My heart hath said to thee: My face hath sought thee:
thy face, O Lord, will I seek.
Turn not away thy face from me; decline not in thy wrath from thy servant.
Be thou my helper, forsake me not;
do not despise me, O God my Saviour.
For my father and my mother have left me: 
but the Lord hath taken me up.

Notice the lack of presumptuousness in David's words. With faith in God's mercy, and not by his own merit, David calls on the Lord. He knows his sinful ways, as should we our own. And yet, knowing God's mercy too, he nevertheless calls on the Lord with confidence. Who else can we turn to in our needs besides the Lord? Here David notes that his father and mother, to whom he might have turned, are no longer with him. But the Lord will never leave him.

Set me, O Lord, a law in thy way,
and guide me in the right Path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not over to the will of them that trouble me;
for unjust witnesses have risen up against me;
and iniquity hath lied to itself.
I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage,
and wait thou for the Lord.

Even with every earthly protection and comfort removed from us, we will never be alone, and we have no need to be afraid. Yes, such confidence and courage requires great faith. And such faith requires God's grace. But on this Sunday, we Catholics know that our attendance at Mass, and our reception of Holy Communion (should we be properly disposed) serves as a sure source of that grace. Is it any wonder Holy Mother Church insists that, as part of keeping holy the Lord's Day, we attend Mass?

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular Posts