An Example of Someone You May Know Paying Their Debt to Others with Their Work

Here's an example of someone you may know paying their debt to others with their work. If you watch or have ever watched the TV game show Wheel of Fortune you'll likely recognize the woman who turns the letters on the the letter board: Vanna White.

I rarely opine on people I don't really know personally (and I don't know Ms. White), but making an exception here, she always struck me as a decent sort. I used to watch this show, and for years watched her turn the letters on the board, as host Pat Sajak ran the show. She's hardly aged more than a day in all these years (not that this qualifies her as a great person). So she's doing something right - at least with her material self. As for her spiritual self, the state of her soul, who knows; but you never hear of her involved in any scandalous or seamy activity, as is the case with many media types.

As you might imagine, she likely earns a good living doing what she does on Wheel of Fortune. I don't know how much she makes, but I suspect it's a lot more than most of us do. So what has she done with all this dough? Well, again, I can't really say. However, I did come across a story in a monthly publication I receive from St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. If you're familiar with their work, they treat and try to cure children's diseases. Their current celebrity spokesperson, Marlo Thomas, is the daughter of the late Danny Thomas, who was a famous entertainer of Lebanese Catholic background, who took up the cause of St. Jude hospital during his successful career. Ms. Thomas is also known for her career in entertainment.

So this past month, I stumbled on a little story about Vanna White, who apparently decided the work the hospital does was worth her time, attention - and money. The story of her support goes like this, in her own words:
My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was 5 years old. I always keep yarn with me, no matter where I am...If I'm behind the puzzle board at Wheel of Fortune, I'm crocheting - even if it's just for a two-minute break. So when Lion Brand Yarns asked me to create my own lines of yarn, I said, "I'd love to do that, and I'd also like to give back. I want to find a charity that's near and dear to my heart.

Then I went to Memphis and toured St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

During my visit, I met some of the patients and their parents. I learned that St. Jude saves the lives of children, but it also does tremendous research to find cures for cancer and other diseases. And the hospital takes good care of the whole family... 
I'm familiar with the work of this hospital and their "whole family" approach. Among other things, they take in kids from around the world who don't have either money or access to the care that St. Jude provides. And they'll put up one of their parents to be with the child as well. But back to Vanna White...
I donate half of my proceeds from the yarn sales to S Jude. To date, we've donated more than $1.7 million to the hospital. It warms my heart to be able to do that...I'm fortunate to have two healthy kids. and I'm happy to do my part to help St. Jude help children get healthy.
Vanna White decided she wanted to give back. She took of the fruits of her labor to do so. Moreover, by visiting St. Jude, she personally assured that her money would be used prudently and effectively. I don't know her religious background, but we see here an authentic act of charity. She loves her work, loves her family, and that love now spills over to others. For those with the means, I think she serves as a good example of how, using your money, you can pay that debt to others that Cardinal Wyszynski so eloquently describes in Working Your Way into Heaven.


Comments

Popular Posts