Inspired at Work by Judas Maccabeus

It was one of those daunting times when personal obligations and work deadlines merge into a particular toxic crunch. We had a long-distance wedding to attend. At the same time, the business needed tending and time was short. The combined travel time and socializing at the wedding, packed into three days, didn't allow for much attention to the business. While glad to finally return home to rest and revitalize, those business deadlines now appeared to grow into great gargoyles casting eerie shadows that bode ill for any who stood in their wake.

Okay, so it wasn't quite that dramatic. But pressed I was, nevertheless. And from before we left on our trip straight through to that first morning back in the office, I kept reminding myself to trust in God...trust in God. We all know we're supposed to trust in God. Our faith should be strong enough to know that if we've done our part, things will work out. God will provide.

Praying again and again, I could see just how short of the ideal my own faith fell. "I trust in Thee, dear Father" easily flowed from the lips of my soul, but the anxious feeling persisted, even grew. Despite the fine first words of my Morning Resolve ("I will try this day to live a simple, sincere, and serene life, repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety, discouragement..."), I couldn't shake the willies, couldn't take that deep breath and find a quiet little spot of serenity in which to park my soul as work pressed in on me.

Lo and behold, as has happened so often in the past, my Scripture reading that morning took me to this passage from Maccabees (2 Maccabees 15: 17-11), with the great general Judas Maccabeus again facing a daunting and determined enemy, an enemy bent on not only defeating Judas in battle, but also ultimately destroying the practice of the Jewish religion and culture:
But Maccabeus did not cease to trust with all confidence that he would get help from the Lord. And he exhorted his men not to fear the attack of the Gentiles, but to keep in mind the former times when help had come to them from heaven, and now to look for the victory which the Almighty would give them. Encouraging them from the law and the prophets, and reminding them also of the struggles they had won, he made them the more eager. And when he had aroused their courage, he gave his orders, at the same time pointing out the perfidy of the Gentiles and their violation of oaths. He armed  each of them not so much with confidence in shields and spear as with inspirations of brave words...
And here was I, facing work deadlines, lacking even a scintilla of the sure faith of this great man!

So turning back to the business of the day, perhaps we can all be  inspired by Judas Maccabeus. No matter what we face on any given day, pray for the grace to completely trust in God for all we need.

Comments

Popular Posts