Applying More of What We Learn

Last time we talked about applying what we learn. We ended by recalling a few words from that meaty quote from Bishop Hedley we posted last week. In the spirit of applying more of what we learn, we continue today. First, these words which bear repeating:
Hitherto I have aimed at many things – the satisfaction of my vanity, of my flesh, of my ambition, of those about me!
It's not that we're "beating ourselves up" here. We simply face the truth about ourselves. You see that, don't you? Even you "positive thinkers" out there, you see the truth in these words, right? It's just fallen human nature are work here. And it's these tendencies we're determined to fight against as we go about our business today.
Hitherto my best actions have been tainted and spoilt by earthly, human, carnal and degrading motives!
Taking up our daily struggle to sanctify our work, we begin by recognizing who we have been and who we are. We need God's grace to overcome these tendencies. Hence we need to work in His light each day. Remember: We work for the greater glory of God; not to get rich, impress others, make ourselves feel or look important, etc., etc.
All this I now turn away from. Do Thou pierce my heart and penetrate it with the one grand purpose of my creation – the will to live for my God!
We work in His light not only in those moments of recollection when we pull back from the task at hand to say a simple aspiration like, "My Jesus, I love You," but also in performing our appointed service both diligently - showing care and conscientiousness - and selflessly - without consideration for personal gain or aggrandizement. We simply want to do our best work all the time. And in doing so, we think of Our Lord Himself as He worked during the years of His hidden life in Nazareth.
The Everlasting Word handles the tools of the workmen, and shapes mean material into humble articles of use! 
Jesus not only handled tools to make things during the hidden years in Nazareth, He right now handles those tools through our own work. And He shapes not only the products of our work into articles of use, but also us into humble articles of use  - when we play our part in doing His Divine Will. We have but to desire to do that Will.

Let's conclude with a sincere, heartfelt prayer, in the words of Bishop Hedley:
Give me, O light of my life, the grace to take up what is low as heartily as what is dignified, and what is flattering as simply as what is humbling, and to see Thee beneath it all, and Thee alone! Last, His continuous and intense elevation of the Heart. Oh! Foolish and mistaken this heart of mine! I fatigue my brain, my fancy, my tongue, my limbs – and all the time, one thing is really necessary – to worship, to love, to offer up, to accept, to beg forgiveness! My Jesus, give me Thy Spirit! O Jesus of Nazareth, obscure, silent, and suffering, I detest all that is contrary to that Spirit of Thine. I detest unnecessary talk, which empties my spirit! I detest that coveting, that clinging, that having and holding, which binds me down to the earth! I detest the vanity of esteem and success! I long and pray that my life may be hidden with Thee in God!”



Comments

Popular Posts