An Appeal for Jesus at Work

With the first weeks of the New Year behind us, the "daily grind" returns for most of us Catholic men at work. The end of the Christmas Season finds our churches stripped of the manger, the wreaths, the Christmas trees, and the lights. Things are simply ordinary now. For some of us, this represents a bit of let down, with a slight taste of sadness flavoring our daily lives.

While the typical rhythm of the work day might provide a bit of comfort, this may be really good time to call on Jesus for help as you get back into the swing of things. But if you're going to do that, don't just ask for relief from the post-Christmas blues. I found a prayer that might be more suitable for us Catholics who, while we spend much if not most of our time at work, sincerely want to grow closer to God. See if you agree.

An Appeal for Jesus

Jesus Christ
Truly Man, Truly God
I believe, I know
You are here in our midst
Be real to me
Be ever more real to me
Overwhelm me
So that nothing else matters
So that no one else matters
So that my own life does not matter
So that I do not matter to myself.

Jesus Christ
Truly Man. Truly God.
The perfect Man
The perfect Lover of mankind
My perfect lover
I love You
I want to love You
I protest that I love You
‘Thou knowest that I love Thee’
In spite of all the evidence against me.
Let my love eat me up
For it is myself that is in the way
If I would think less of myself
If I would ignore myself
Pity myself less
Admire myself less
Indulge myself less
Then would I love You more
With love all-absorbing
With love self-obliterating
With love consuming.

Jesus Christ
You know what I wish to say
Before it is uttered
You read my soul better than I read it
Make it clean that it may see
Where it is untrue make it true
Selfless that it may love
The rest let it be as You will.


(Archbishop Alban Goodier, S.J.)

Comments

Popular Posts