Special Advent Work-Study

Sitting in a college library last week, waiting for the beginning of a meeting, students intently reviewing for finals. Christmas approaches, but finals come first.

The night before, I'm studying for an online quiz for a course I'm taking to improve a set of skills I've concluded could use some improvement. Submitted the quiz, passed (got 100%!).

So go these hectic last days of Advent, as Christmas looms larger on the horizon.

Work continues its usual pace, but this year I'm just that much more prepared for the final "push" than the year before. Hallelujah! I've finally accomplished that objective I set a number of years ago: not to allow Advent, most especially those final 7-10 days before Christmas, to take a back seat to work or whatever other obligations I've accepted.

Oh, right, there's that course project due Sunday, a mere four days before Christmas. Note to self: get on that and finish it before Sunday.

United with these diligent college students, with business colleagues, with family and friends all pressing to meet various deadlines, appointments, obligations, I'm hoping, I'm praying, that Advent doesn't fade into the background. It's happened too often in the past. Whether it's been work, study, or both, the coming of Christ, which should be an increasing sound in my ears, a brightening star illuminating all that I see and touch, has been overwhelmed by the mundane, all be they legitimately important concerns.

Focus! Attention! Discipline!...and God's grace: all of these will be called on today, tomorrow and every day until Christmas Eve. Don't let what seems pressing and urgent, but isn't really all that important in the greater scheme of things, deaden the sounds and colors of the coming of Christ.

Divine Infant of Bethlehem, come at take birth in my heart. By your grace, allow me to keep my mind and heart where they should be, where I want them to be, more importantly where You want them to be, as the final days of Advent unfold. Work and study, yes. But for Your greater glory, not mine. Diligence to appointed service and fidelity to every trust, yes, but in your service and with total trust in You.

Please accept this bumbling prayer, Dearest Lord. Help me to devote my life to you, in all my work and study, in my recreation, in every moment, especially those busiest and most hectic moments of the build up to Christmas. I've been trying to do this all my life and have miserably failed, but I have supreme confidence that You will provide the graces I need.

I know You love me. Please help me love You more and more.

Divine Infant of Bethlehem, 
come and take birth in my heart.

Comments

Popular Posts